univercity

KuaRk(t)

Usually American universities require all applicants whose native language is not English to take the TOEFL exam, which is a test of English as a foreign language. Each university then determines what is an adequate score for someone to be eligible to apply. From my experience, many foreign students who have 'passed' the TOEFL exam can hardly communicate at all in English, so the standards are often quite lax.

MIT is a highly competitive school to get into, so its TOEFL standard may be quite high. Also, keep in mind that there are thousands of institutions of higher learning around the world, many of which have excellent physics programs, so don't confine your attention to MIT. There are many different concentrations within physics, and the type of physics education you would get at MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, and at the Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule in Zurich would all be quite different. So study the course offerings and pick the places to apply which focus on your areas of interest.

Finally, I am not sure how the Turkish secondary school system operates, but make sure that you have at least the equivalent of an American high school diploma which will be completed before you begin studies at university. Some foreign universities will require a much higher level of education prior to studies, such as in Germany, for example, where you need about a year of American university studies completed for entrance into the beginning of a German university program. The individual school will often have information about how it converts Turkish qualifications to their application standards.

I am sorry,I didn´t recognize "university" word and ı have austrian citizenship.This citizenship can utilize me?

How ı can learn Englisch rapidly?. I sent a meassage to MIT and they answered me,that ı have to make IELTS exam.I investigated and found it.Its not easy,its difficult.I hope,I will achieve it.

You do not need to learn it quickly. You have a few years, I think. I think I learned a lot from watching TV series in English, and a bit from posting on this forum. Using a spell-checker helps a lot.

I'm not sure why you're so focused on studying in the United States if you have Austrian citizenship, which would allow you to attend some excellent schools for little or no tuition fees, in contrast to the hugely expensive fees you might have to pay (depending on scholarships) in the U. S. I was a student for a year at the University of Vienna, and while the lab equipment there was a bit old-fashioned, I found the atmosphere quite pleasant. You could also consider its sister institution, the Technische Hochschule von Wien, which is the Austrian MIT, though it is a bit shabby compared to either the Universitaet Wien or the real MIT.

By far the best German-speaking university in Europe for physics, which also has much lower tuition fees than you would find in the U.S., is the ETH in Zurich. I assume since you say you have Austrian citizenship that your German is better than your English, so why not take the easier course? Also, admission to Austrian, German, and Swiss schools outside of Numerus Clausus faculties is automatic with the possession of an Abitur, though the ETH may set some additional requirements. With U.S. institutions, however, you have to compete for a place.

• 1 month later...

By using Google to find it out, e.g.

http://www.phys.ethz.ch/phys/students/prospective/

If there are still open questions after you read through the webpage extensively, write them an E-mail. The extensive search on their homepage should at least yield a contact address. I doubt that anyone on this forum happens to be a bureaucrat at ETH.

Edited by timo