is astronuatical engineering a science???

Halash

Well astronautical engineering is engineering, rather than science, that's why it's named that way. Science is just a method for studying things. So you could study the different forces on a craft entering our atmosphere, and that would be science. But if you take that information and design a craft that enters the atmosphere, then you're doing engineering.

That's how I see it anyway.

is this board.... like 99% geeks??

that depends on how you define geeks.

if a geek is someone you are jealous of because they are cleverer than you, then probably so! :rolleyes:

i think what you meant is are you guys clever? to which the answer it most of us are, yes :P

;):D

i agree with skye, its engineering not science, although the two fields mix, doesnt mean they are the same.

']Well aeronautical engineering definately exists.

I just took a brief google search' date=' and it seems it does exist, although "aerospace engineering" may be a mroe common term for it.[/quote']

Lockheed is into aerospace engineering, which cannot be equated with astronautical engineering. aerospace engineering has to do with putting people on Mars via rockets etc.

Aerospace engineering is mainly confined to vehicles in our atmosphere. Astonautical, I would assume, is related to the construction and functioning of vehicles designed for space. Engineering is based on scientific concepts(as indeed everything is) but due to its close relationship with first principles it is sometimes refered to as 'applied science'.

I used to study engineering but I got frustrated because it functions mainly along the line of figuring out the semantics. Most of the design work is in someone elses hands, they just give you the schematics and you crunch the numbers and tell them whether its going to work or not. There are fields of engineering where this is not always the case, the one discussed here is a case in point. However I still feel like engineering does not have as much freedom of thought involved as theoretical physics and the like. Just my opinion by the way.