Making Copper(II) Ammonium Sulphate

Dimdims

For an investigation i've got to do in A-level Chemistry, i need to make Copper(II) Ammonium sulphate from scratch, could anyone please help me out as to how to do this as i haven't got a clue what to use

When you say from scratch, do you mean from anhydrous copper(II) sulphate? If so, just dissolve the copper(II) sulphate in a concentrated aqueous solution of ammonia [also known as ammonium hydroxide]. This should form the complex [ce] [Cu(NH_3 )_4 ] SO_4 [/ce] which is what you were looking for I believe.

no, i first have to make the copper(II) sulphate, but the ammonia should be provided

Oh okay. mix a soluble copper salt with a soluble sulfate salt in aqueous solution. Then just play the solubility ballgame to make your copper sulfate percipitate out, or get the other compound to percipitate out and evaporate the solution to dryness.

First off, you need to find out exactly what you are being asked to make.

Is it the double salt CuSO4 (NH4)2SO4. 6H2O

or is it tetrammine copper (II) sulphate Cu(NH3) 4SO4 .H2O ( I think it's the monohydrate.)

I think it's probably the second, but the question actually asks for the first.

Edited by John Cuthber