What fields in science are 'recession proof' ?

Caprican12

First I'd like to say I am not into this only or money. I like science and it would make sense to make money doing what you like obviously. Anyways I wanted to be a planetary geologist and do a lot of work that relates to studying the climate and geology of other moons/planets. I was advised I would either have to major in geology, chem or physics. I was just wondering how in demand those jobs are for someone with a major in physics. If I majored in physics, exactly how well would that work out for me in this economy? Would I have a hard time getting a job or work? I'm no Carl Sagan, I am not great at teaching.. or even math at this point. I was told to do what I love and I do love astronomy and planetary science but I just don't get the impression either are in high demand. What other fields are worth considering? I don't want to sound like I am hopping over I just want to know what other options there are in the (physical) science field.

For example I could still do geology and because it appears "clean energy" is taking off, I could invest in those companies using windmills or hydropower for electricity. If that sort of thing is what's "in" that would be a logical decision route right? I was considering other things like lab tech but I'd really want to do the planetary geology stuff because it is what I like. I am just starting out in college so I know it will be A LONG time before I do any of the work, in the mean time do you think geologist or physicists will be in demand by time I graduate? Like I said I am kinda hesitant in majoring in physics and not having a job by the time I graduate. What kind of 'book smarts' does it even take to work on project like HiRISE? Do I just hope I get lucky enough to work with NASA when it's all said and done like a gamble? Being a physicists does not appear to be as interchangeable as say being a RN for example.

I was just wondering for some of your advice here, this is all just a dream for me I want to make sure I am on the right track and not setting myself up for failure. I am just starting community college, my advisers are a joke so I was hoping a fellow scientist here could help me.

No field is "recession-proof" to the extent that there the number of personnel in any field, even a very essential one, can usually be cut. Accepting that there is always a risk that you will be one of the job-losers, a recession-proof field would be one that gives you more functional breadth and flexibility outside of your specialization. For example, an economist who know insurance business very well could perhaps more easily get a job in insurance or become an agent then someone who knew nothing about insurance. A scientists who understand agriculture very well could more easily grow their own food while unemployed. A scientist who understands building materials and structural engineering could more easily design and build a house to live in. Generally, if your scientific knowledge can be applied in a way that you can do on your own without investing loads of capital in expensive equipment, you could start your own business.

• 3 weeks later...

Predicting the job market is almost impossible and most of the time it does not make too much sense to use the current market situation as choose a career. Note that getting degrees is not the same as building a career. If you are interested in a career, you should inform yourself what kind of positions are available in the field of your interest and what kind of people they need. Again, I am not necessarily talking about degrees, but the whole package. If you are interested in the alternative energy field, how about approaching companies (e.g. at job fairs) and ask about what careers they have available, and what you to have to get to become attractive to them.

Purely academic positions are notoriously fickle, even if the economy is stable.