please tell me what you think

John R

i am 16 so be nice...

Today I realized that time is not a constant and there for it is possible that time can be fluxuating without us even realizing it. To us it would seem normal. How ever if someone were watching form a "third person like view" it would be as though we are speeding up and slowing down constantly. I base this on my own intellect and nothing more. Although I could be wrong I feel that it is very possible. If I am right we would have to rewrite equations in order to add in this extra variable.

Edited by John R

Today I realized that time is not a constant and there for it is possible that time can be fluxuating without us even realizing it. To us it would seem normal.

The term "constant" is very ambiguous. Time is not constant with respect to what?

It is true that the passage of time is observer dependant. This is one of the major results of special (and general) relativity. Have a look at time dilation.

I base this on my own intellect and nothing more. Although I could be wrong I feel that it is very possible. If I am right we would have to rewrite equations in order to add in this extra variable.

Have a good read about special relativity.

I am not sure what you mean by "fluctuating", it sounds very quantum. However, for now I think you will find relativity interesting.

The term "constant" is very ambiguous. Time is not constant with respect to what?

It is true that the passage of time is observer dependant. This is one of the major results of special (and general) relativity. Have a look at time dilation.

Have a good read about special relativity.

I am not sure what you mean by "fluctuating", it sounds very quantum. However, for now I think you will find relativity interesting.

Is time dilation reciprocal?

i am 16 so be nice...

Today I realized that time is not a constant and there for it is possible that time can be fluxuating without us even realizing it. To us it would seem normal. How ever if someone were watching form a "third person like view" it would be as though we are speeding up and slowing down constantly. I base this on my own intellect and nothing more. Although I could be wrong I feel that it is very possible. If I am right we would have to rewrite equations in order to add in this extra variable.

If you were traveling very fast everyone else would see your time going slow but you would see your time as normal, if you were in a very strong gravitational field everyone else would also see your time going slow and again you would experience your time as normal.

So, to answer your question, yes, when your time changes you will have no knowledge of it. If you were God for example looking into the universe and you hit the fastforward button to get to an interesting bit and then hit slowmo so you can enjoy one of your supernovae going off the time would be fluctuating but we would not know.

If you were traveling very fast everyone else would see your time going slow but you would see your time as normal, if you were in a very strong gravitational field everyone else would also see your time going slow and again you would experience your time as normal.

So, to answer your question, yes, when your time changes you will have no knowledge of it. If you were God for example looking into the universe and you hit the fastforward button to get to an interesting bit and then hit slowmo so you can enjoy one of your supernovae going off the time would be fluctuating but we would not know.

yeah i know that nothing can go faster then the speed of light so "time" slows down for the object/person with out realizing it. what my main question is about is i think it is happing right this second. not just because dark matter is forcing the universe to go faster, but just flickers of speed. for instance this second time could be ls slowing by .0000000005% normal but by the time i type this it could speed up to .000007%. but i haven't come up with any experiments to test my theory. any input?

yeah i know that nothing can go faster then the speed of light so "time" slows down for the object/person with out realizing it. what my main question is about is i think it is happing right this second. not just because dark matter is forcing the universe to go faster, but just flickers of speed. for instance this second time could be ls slowing by .0000000005% normal but by the time i type this it could speed up to .000007%. but i haven't come up with any experiments to test my theory. any input?

If different regions in space were fluctuating like you describe then there would probably be some observable evidence. I don't think there is any.

If the entire universe was fluctuating like you describe then it would also affect any instruments you use so they would not detect this fluctuating time. In essence time could be fluctuating but it would have no consequence. You will still experience time at the rate of 1 second per second.

And that's before we even get to what 'normal' time is which, I'm sure you can see, has no meaning. Or the fact (if it is a fact?) you would only observe this fluctuation from outside of the universe whatever 'outside of the universe' means.

Edited by between3and26characterslon

[...]It is possible that time can be fluxuating without us even realizing it [...]. If I am right we would have to rewrite equations in order to add in this extra variable.

What's the point in adding an extra variable that by definition has no effect? Or asked the other way round: what would the effects we realize be?

Edited by timo

• 2 months later...

Time is like a river. It slows and it speeds up. This is relative to how fast a person is going and how much mass they are next to. Technically, if you were traveling near the speed of light around a cluster of black holes, time would be passing incredibly slow in comparison to someone who is on earth. This means that if you were to take a spaceship going crazy fast, time would be moving slow enough for you to move astrinomical distances. You could reach a black hole, for time to move even slower. You could then return back to Earth, which could be 400 years into the future compared to when you left. Time might have only passes some 40 years on your spaceship though. On earth, most everyone is subject to relatively the same ammount of mass, so the only variable is how fast we move. On an extremely small scale, someone who walks and runs all the time compared to someone who doesn't move alot might be experiencing time moving slower in comparison. So, the answer to your question is ... kinda. The fluctuation would be soo incredibly small that it is almost radically unimportant. It is much more fun to think of general relativity with my spaceship idea.

P.S. I am also 16.