Depression

Adam

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Adam

Is it just not for a purpose , because i think science can't explain it yet, Why did natural selection arm us with depression what i want to know, cause i have alternative explanation.

Depression is historically associated with events resulting in the loss of someone cared for; which jeopardizes reproduction, hence since depression is a negative feeling, it has an evolutionary advantage. The many causes of depression are incidental, and largly wouldn't exist with higher society, which wouldn't exist without language, which was a random mutation only a couple hundred thousand years ago, where depression was already fully developed, as it is in many higher organisms.

I know that will come up, but i already know what causes the depression, the q is why we have the abiliity to become depressed, They say happiness is the healthiest way to live, and natural selection is what allows us to adapt for the better, So to our life what are some benefits that involve depression??

Depression can be as bad as cause someone to kill himself, that is definately not good for evolution. Then Why depression exists???

I know why, but this is not metaphysics category , so i can't discuss it here

Ok Im a psyc major. I will like to begin by letting you know teir are different types of depressions.

Firts off it is possible their is a depression gene but it isnt known yet for sure; next you can become depressed by the use of drugs that mess with your seratonin and melatonin. For instance everytime lets say you do extacy not saying you do, you loose more melatonin permanently meaning you are more depressed permanently.

Eventhough the Brain gives off more melatonin in the mornin(for you to wake up) and more seratoning at night (so you go to bed) it doesent mean the brain is making more seratonin or more melatonin it just means its using what it has when it needs it.if you take the melatonin away completely you would commit suicide

That right there is the basics. If you want to know about specific depressive dissorders, then I suggest you see the DSM-IV revised edition.

Originally posted by fafalone

I can ban you for being disrespectful. Not only disrespectful to me personally, but disrepectful to logic and science.

Simply, if you can't take the heat don't go in the kitchen.

resolution: you don't attack my threads, i don't interfere with yours.

?

Originally posted by Adam

Is it just not for a purpose , because i think science can't explain it yet, Why did natural selection arm us with depression what i want to know, cause i have alternative explanation.

Yes, i assumed that's what you meant. You might think of me as an 'evolution and molecular biology' major if it helps.

Not every characteristic is adaptational, full stop.

(This is a mistake which the late Stephen J. Gould labelled 'Panglossianism', after the fictional character Dr. Pangloss, who held that 'everything is for the best'. There is a general tendency, even among biologists (though perhaps not molecular biologists, because genomes 'a complete mess' as my supervisor puts it) to believe that every characteristic is an optimal adaptation.)

Deprssion is when the queen mama-dukes (mother of yaties) dies do to the fact that the moshe doesent want to mate with her anymore and the yaties run around desperately because they are just drones and need the mama-dukes to feed so they just eat her and then each other.

Depression is a emotion. Emotions helped us evolve (testing the brain). Many animals experiance emotions, but do they know what it is. Can they control their emotion. We know what is emotional and what makes us emotional.

Maybe in a couple of decades, people will not know what depression was.

We are depressed because something makes us that way. People who have manic depression are mentally handycap, their brain is somehow not working properly. You can't call that a true emotion becuase they are overloaded with that one emotion.

Aleins never show emotion because they are so advance they don't need them. They don't give a [edit].