Torus colonies

Moontanman

Hmm...

Scaling up a torus: we increase diameter, then the length of the torus increases linearly (length = 2*pi*r) as a function of the diameter. Assuming that we don't make the torus any thicker with increasing diameter, then it only becomes longer, so the weight also increases linearly. Assuming we build spokes (like on a bicycle wheel) to keep it together, the amount of spokes that we can build also increases linearly.

The only non-linear aspect that I can find off the top of my head is the weight of the spokes. Those increase in number, but also in length.

So, unless we're talking about some ridiculously large monster torus, I see little limitations to scale up a simple ring to a large scale.

The only factor that I dare not say something about is the thickness of the ring itself. You propose a 100 miles thick ring, which makes it larger than almost anything man made. How would you solve the force balance of such a ring to see if it can keep itself together? Afinite element analysis of the forces involved?

• 3 weeks later...