Hydroelectric mechanics

Primarygun

In the deep ocean, assume the pressure is about 10 atm , while the pressure at sea level is 1 atm.

The density of the deep ocean water is slightly different from the sea level water.

What will happen if the deep ocean water is carried at the sea level, expand or others?

Also, if the density doesn't change, how the pressure applying towards horizontal in the deep ocean water work out? Like a man goes into the deep ocean water level, he feels that six direction force exerts on him, how do the four forces work?

The water expands because it is under less pressure. It also expands because the surface currents are warmer and warmer water occupies more space than cooler water. The sinking/rising of the water is what drives the gloabl weather system. I don't see what it has to do with electricity (thread title).

Why will the water expand?

Isn't the density is nearly the same?

The compressibility of water is only about 45 parts per million per atmosphere. It will expand, but not by much.

This is why you use water for testing pressure vessels. If you spring a leak, the water will return to atmospheric pressure without expanding much.

Oh Sorry. I typed the title wrongly.

It should be "hydrostatics mechanics"

By the way' date=' a geographical question, is the lower part of ocean being so cold because of the sunlight largely but slightly by the weight?[/quote']

I think it's to do with the sunlight.

Guest beholdasun

Water is virtually incompressable (The compressibility of water is only about 45 parts per million per atmosphere - swansont). Meaning that at your 10 atm water will be about .00045 % compressed BY PRESSURE. The major factor affecting the density of water, however, is its temperature. The deeper you go, the less rays of sunlight come through to convert radiant energy into thermal energy. This is because more and more of them are absorbed by the increasing amount of the water above. In this case, the effect of increased depth results in a compression due to temperature and pressure, so it should be obvious that the water will be more dense at deeper levels. If you're still interested...here's a good resource <http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/Water/density.html&edu=high>

"As far as the laws of Mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality" - Albert Einstein

By the way, a geographical question, is the lower part of ocean being so cold because of the sunlight largely but slightly by the weight?

by weight you mean density, and the way density depends on temperature.

That is an interesting question---what makes the temperature structure of the deep ocean layers?

I do think the temp of deep ocean depends very much on the fact that the temperature of maximum density is a few degrees above freezing

down to a certain point, like 4 Celsius, as water gets colder it gets denser so the colder water will sink and the warmer will rise

but below a certain point that is reversed, and as water gets still colder (below like 4 Celsius) it expands and gets less dense and actually will want to rise!

so I guess below a certain depth sunlight is sort of irrelevant. it doesnt penetrate and it doesnt affect the physics of the water way deep.

then what you have is factors like salinity and different deep currents from different places moving around, and above all this incredible thing that below a certain temp water EXPANDS as it gets cooler----these I guess would be the factors that would influence the structure of the deep ocean