Most significant scientific discovery or advancement in the last tem years?

Dan6541

It is just a little older than 10 years now, but I would say the realisation that nearly 75% of the universe is made up of dark energy.

1) Observational Evidence from Supernovae for an Accelerating Universe and a Cosmological Constant, Riess et.al. Astron.J.116:1009-1038,1998 also available as arXiv:astro-ph/9805201v1

2) Measurements of Omega and Lambda from 42 High-Redshift Supernovae, Perlmutter et.al. Astrophys.J.517:565-586,1999 also available as arXiv:astro-ph/9812133v1

It is just a little older than 10 years now, but I would say the realisation that nearly 75% of the universe is made up of dark energy.

that's still speculative stuff! no one has ever proven the existence of dark matter, dark energy and so on...

I'd say advances in DNA sequencing. This has been going on for 30 or so years, but now is reaching the point where it can be done very cheaply. A landmark is the 2001 publishing of a draft sequence of the human genome. The technology and costs for sequencing DNA are constantly and rapidly being improved. According to this, the costs dropped 100 fold between 2004 and 2006. While I can't point to any particular one and say "There -- that one is the greatest advance", this combined with other technology has the potential to completely change our lives.

I'd say advances in DNA sequencing. This has been going on for 30 or so years, but now is reaching the point where it can be done very cheaply. A landmark is the 2001 publishing of a draft sequence of the human genome. The technology and costs for sequencing DNA are constantly and rapidly being improved. According to this, the costs dropped 100 fold between 2004 and 2006. While I can't point to any particular one and say "There -- that one is the greatest advance", this combined with other technology has the potential to completely change our lives.

Yeah DNA sequencing is huge, and its not just human genomes. Scientists have determined the entire mitochordrial gemone of a wooly mammoth and about 50% of it's whole genome. There is hope that in the future they might be able to brought back to life through cloning or combining its genetic material with an Asian or African elephant.

Well the next gen and the soon coming next-next gen sequencers are technically interesting. However, for scientific advancement we still need to figure out what to do with the info. If we are at that point is going to be a significant advancement. At this point we are more successful in finding out that certain approaches do not work

If you want to know where the cost decrease came from- mostly from pyrosequencers as the 454 or solexa.

Edited by CharonY

Internet.

The Internet has been around for a while.

However, I'll advance your idea.

I propose that open-source science projects, including biology projects, are some of the best advancements made.

Not only that, but how the communities can read each other's stuff and collaborate.

The Internet has been around for a while.

However, I'll advance your idea.

I propose that open-source science projects, including biology projects, are some of the best advancements made.

Not only that, but how the communities can read each other's stuff and collaborate.

Oh, I'm sorry. I hadn't realized that it has to be an invention.

Internet is indeed much older than 10 years... but if you compare the internet of 10 years ago with the internet today, then that's a huge difference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.