You have received $100,000,000,000.

Sisyphus

Straightforward question, perhaps complicated answers. $100 billion is, I think, many times more than a person could reasonably spend on themselves without going out of their way to specifically waste money (though it is a net worth within an order of magnitude of a few dozen people in the world), so I guess for most people it will be a three part question: how much money do you want for yourself? How would you spend it on yourself? What would you do with the excess?

First of all, a big chuck goes into an investment to make a revenue stream. The investment is my inheritance for my kids and the revenue stream for a new luxurious lifestyle. Said lifestyle would involve top-of-the-line computer, good food, and a maid to do housework, and probably some sport/adventure. The rest of the revenue stream goes to increasing the investment.

The other chunk would go to a project (invested until needed of course). I think my project of choice would be space colonization, although space solar would be a good intermediate investment project which would help with the necessary technology.

Well, lending it out for mortgages doesn't seem smart anymore. So investing in other revenue-generating enterprises seems wise EXCEPT the more profit you skim off of existing revenues, the more income and profits get cut out of the economy, leading to more foreclosures and business closings. So, I guess the really wise way to invest it in the big-picture of the economy would be to create businesses that compete with existing businesses in ways that put pressure on them to change their modi operandi. The trick is to figure out what you consider environmentally and/or socially/economically sustainable and invest in that in a way that you don't just throw money into a failing venture but you also don't reproduce traditionally problematic business practices.

Invest in research and engineering. Cool space projects and sustainable energy... those are two topics that interest me a lot, and I'd just (responsibly) throw all the money into it. Perhaps keep a million for myself... but since I'd be working on the projects, I would simply get a salary like most other scientists and engineers - a salary which is quite comfortable.

99,990,000,000 to charities. I can survive with 10 million. Just.

Same here. Except I would create my own charity, focused on helping children in any way possible. As much as I would like to invest in future technologies, I would feel awful if I didn't help those who needed it most.

Schools. All over the world, built with local labor and materials. I'd work with universities on a special program to educate teachers who could be placed back into their own rural areas. The goal would be an end to ignorance. Everyone with access to basic learning.

I don't want a lavish lifestyle. I also don't want to trust fund my descendants. And unfortunately, $100B is enough to where it needs to be managed by a group of people who know what they're doing. Keeping tabs on that group would be a full-time job in itself.

Hotel orbiting Earth.

School... lots of school.

Obviously friends and family would be taken care of.

Lot of travel.

Some new shoes.

Cancer research. Cryonics research.

Hotel on the Moon. That will be the second in a future chain of hotels. The third will obviously be on Mars... of course the venture will have to prove itself profitable by this time as 100 billion only goes so far.

Hi there once again, my friends :)

Well, I guess that after I receive the cash I`d burry it, under the sole tree in my backyard right by the other $ 100,000,000,000, I received last time, and carry on with my own regular life as always :lol:

Edited by Rickdog

with that much money i would get a modest house, and put a little bit(1-10mil) into a investment for the potential children. other than that my money would go towards science/inventions/innovations. i would also use the money to help stimulate and grow the economy. i would use it to stimulate new business growth through out the world. also instead of giving money to charities which you KNOW do not work with vary much efficiency, i would use it to start and build civilization in areas where there is none. I would improve the standard of living where the standard is drastically low. The construction of civilization isn't just building homes, schools, and such it is the formation of businesses and opportunities such that there are jobs.

in other words, if you have ever played age of empires or a similar game, i would build an economy.

but most of it will go toward science. i just wish that science wasn't such a "brute force" type of occupation.

Some examples of scientific ventures would include, moon/mars colonization. building a real space station. mining the resources of other planets for use on earth and colonies. i would advance ratheons "exoskeleton". though their attempt at it is quite laughable and extremely late in the race, it does have some credence. even if that credence is just that they have finally put some thought and engineering into it.

Same here. Except I would create my own charity, focused on helping children in any way possible. As much as I would like to invest in future technologies, I would feel awful if I didn't help those who needed it most.

That's my thinking.

Cool space projects

Initiate the colonisation of Mars.

Hotel orbiting Earth.

my money would go towards science/inventions/innovations

How can you all think up all these lavish (and wonderful, admittedly) scientific uses and ignore all the starving people in the world?

How can you all think up all these lavish (and wonderful, admittedly) scientific uses and ignore all the starving people in the world?

You can't solve poverty by giving people money, if that's what you were suggesting. That would only postpone things a little. But scientific progress is forever, and also can help all peoples.

You can't solve poverty by giving people money, if that's what you were suggesting. That would only postpone things a little. But scientific progress is forever, and also can help all peoples.

How would building a orbiting hotel or a hotel on the moon possibly benefit people?

You can't solve poverty by giving people money

But education, building schools, all that stuff would make a huge difference.

How would building a orbiting hotel or a hotel on the moon possibly benefit people?

Don't judge me! :)

There's a million things I would do with that money, I only mentioned a few things that particularly interest me, individually. Believe me, the world would benefit if I had that kind of money. Philanthropy is kind of an obvious answer. Do you want everyone to spout off about how many hospitals and schools they would build? That wouldn't make for a very interesting thread. Besides, I think taking the first steps toward leaving this planet would be a great benefit for humanity. I think its in our best interest to spread ourselves out a bit... the sooner the better.

Edited by losfomot

Don't judge me! :)

Haha, I won't.

Philanthropy is kind of an obvious answer. Do you want everyone to spout off about how many hospitals and schools they would build? That wouldn't make for a very interesting thread.

Oh, so you just want an intresting thread.

Besides, I think taking the first steps toward leaving this planet would be a great benefit for humanity. I think its in our best interest to spread ourselves out a bit... the sooner the better.

Then it turns into a moral question. Should we stay on Earth, and try to make it as livable as possible and reduce greenhouse gases and all that, or should we spend lots of money on trying to travel to other habitable planets, which might not be possible for a very long time, while millions starve on a still very habitable planet?

I see your point, sooner or later something will wipe out life on Earth, and to avoid being wiped out we do need to spread.

We have to dream. We have to strive to realise our dreams. Mankind's success is an outgrowth of exploration. If we wish to redirect expenditure towards eliminating poverty and starvation lets do it by addressing things such as cosmetics or entertainers salaries, not by abandoning our higher aspirations.

Moreover a program of Martian colonisation would require the development of more effective recycling systems, the creation of more productive food crops and the establishment of more ethically responsive societies. All of these elements would be transferable to Earthbound solutions of poverty and malnutrition.

So, I would ask you how can you ignore the starving people alive today and all of humanity alive tomorrow, by rejecting the opportunity do somthing lasting and meaningful for all of them?

We have to dream. We have to strive to realise our dreams. Mankind's success is an outgrowth of exploration. If we wish to redirect expenditure towards eliminating poverty and starvation lets do it by addressing things such as cosmetics or entertainers salaries, not by abandoning our higher aspirations.

Moreover a program of Martian colonisation would require the development of more effective recycling systems, the creation of more productive food crops and the establishment of more ethically responsive societies. All of these elements would be transferable to Earthbound solutions of poverty and malnutrition.

So, I would ask you how can you ignore the starving people alive today and all of humanity alive tomorrow, by rejecting the opportunity do somthing lasting and meaningful for all of them?

I'm not saying don't dream, rather just weed out all the projects and ideas that are done purely for the enjoyment of a few people, like building space hotels.

You say a Martian colonisation would lead to the development of new and more efficient systems etc., but since when did these advancements have to be a result of such a mission?

I know this is getting off topic, (sorry) but which do you think is a more realistic goal?

1.The colonisation of Mars and getting it to a condition where humans can live and survive easily, and live a life that isn't hell,

or 2. The identification of an earth-like planet and the sending of humans to this planet.

If it is number 1, sure the colonisation of Mars is a justifiable goal.

People will always dream, of course they will, I'm just saying just develop and goals that will actually be useful.

I would invest in agriculture, sustainable energy infrastructure and recycling technologies. :)

Lobbying for environmentally friendly policies will be also smart, i think... ;)

Also I would like to build myself a castle. :rolleyes::lol:

I would like to have many servants, and to surprise them by making THEM breakfast sometimes and cleaning the toilets occasionally. :D

Some of the money, I will spend on completely pointless personal eccentricities.

Like a rainfall with LSD... combined with thousands of biodegradable balloons and music playing dirigibles released over random cities.

And an escadrille of bombers, which will bombard people with flowers instead of bombs.

Edited by vordhosbn

People will always dream, of course they will, I'm just saying just develop and goals that will actually be useful.

Which is precisely why have I have recommended initiating the colonisation of Mars. It hits the right buttons in four key areas.

1. It addresses the inherent exploratory and inqusitive nature of mankind.

2. It provides a challenging, but achievable goal.

3. It provides a long term escape route for humanity.

4. It has the potential to deliver substantial technological fall-out.

You say a Martian colonisation would lead to the development of new and more efficient systems etc., but since when did these advancements have to be a result of such a mission?

1. In the context of this thread this is my frigging mission so I can define the desired results.

2. In the broader context these results would be unavoidable. Succesful research in the areas I have indicated would be essential if the colonisation program were to succeed. Those technologies would then be available for terrestrial applications.

I know this is getting off topic, (sorry) but which do you think is a more realistic goal?

1.The colonisation of Mars and getting it to a condition where humans can live and survive easily, and live a life that isn't hell,

or 2. The identification of an earth-like planet and the sending of humans to this planet.

If it is number 1, sure the colonisation of Mars is a justifiable goal.

The colonisation and partial terraforming of Mars are considerably more practical than attempting interstellar colonisation. The latter is at least an order of magnitude more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I would invest massively in High-altitude winds: The greatest source of concentrated energy on Earth.

It will bring cheap energy, enought to produce hydrogen for cars reduce global warming and make some money.

With that money build desalination plan where needed. No more war for petroleum, and people having lot of water to farm there needs.

Some education so that the new energy infrastucture be runned by local people.

I was thinking of the jet stream and kite is one of my hobbies and thaugth that if we can put a wind turbine on a kite that fly at that altitude we will have a constant powerfull wind. I google and found that the idea is already developped :D

I would invest 1/16= 12 500 000 000 of it into fusion 12/16=150 000 000 000 into sciences of various kinds (with a slight bias towards physics and chemistry ie a few million $ ) 1/16=12 500 000 000 into education/poor people and the and keep the other 2/16=12 500 000 000 of it. 12.5 billion$ is all a person really needs B)

and if you donate any more than 6 and a quarter billion to charity your just showing off B)

Edited by cipher510

The first thing I'd have to do is commission a play (adaption of Moby Dick), and grossly overpay the actors. I'd make sure no one gets fired, and offer stupid size bonuses for seeing the play through to the final run. Of course, I'd have to do everything in my power to make it a complete trainwreck, such as 2 months before opening night decide it needs to be "spiced up" and now all the characters are "cats" and not people, so Ishmael becomes " Ishmeow" and it all gets even crazier from there.

To pull this off, I of course would be wearing a monocle.

As far as practical applications, most of my better thought out plans require a bit more than $100b, so I'd get busy trying to turn that money into more money. As for people already doing at least some of what I want to do, are Robert_Bigelow with Bigelow Aerospace and of course Dean Kamen, the latter of which I really appreciate for both the types of problems he tries to solve and the dedication to youth interest in science and education.