Weird pea plant experiments, know any?

amoda

Hi,

i was wondering if you know any really weird plant experiments. Not normal experiments like "Effects of diffrent ph levels on pea plants " or "What happens to plants if planted up side down". One of my friends came up with a nice experiment which he decided to do himself "Effects of a magnetic field on pea plants". Do any of you know any tests like that?

Thanks for any help!

woa, we have the same avatar, wasnt deliberate :D

you could try selective breeding them or trying to mutate them.

mutate them by pooring some kinda light poison on them, that would harm but not kill them, also try putting radiation near them...

then you could breed all the dodgy ones and you'll end up with your own race of dodgy peas with wierd mutations.

worth a try, why do you wanna do a pea experiment?

oooo i like the slight poison idea, eh im bored plus it can probably get me a bonus point in bio class. Can you suggest a type of poison? I can't do anything that gives out radiation really since the plants would be inside the house, and i do plan to have kids someday.

mutate them by putting poison and radiation? haha

If you have the time I would try artificial selection, like Mendle. Get the two smallest plants and cross them and then cross the smallest again and again until you have really small plants. Of course it would be a while for it toe work.

I would try something else. I would probably see how they grow differently if you gave them sugar or caffine, or mabye how they grow with different types of music, or exposure to magnetic fields. fun fun fun

thanks for all the help, but i've finnaly decided to do a smiple test. See the affects of diffrent ph levels on the pea plants. I liked the shrinking idea, but i dont want to live with the plants for too long just a month or two shoudl do it, they are gonna be in my bedroom so i dont want to waste tooo much space.

just get some pH paper, the stuff which turns different colours depending on what pH the substance is.

dunno where you can get it from.... i got some from this science magasine and never used it, so i still got some, maybe try asking your science teacher, if your at schoo, if not just go to a chemistry shop, im sure you can buy some ova the net somewhere.... ebay or sumin.

ph paper...are those the little white rectangular papers?

there are different types, mine are long white rectangular strips with some coloured squares at the end, which change coulour according to pH.

some other ones i've used are just an orangy-browny kinda colour, rectangular, looks like paper.

they both change colour according to the pH of the substance.

Another way to test radiation would be to use a microwave oven, e.g. put groups of seeds in for different periods of time (obviously a control group with no radiation) and see if this has any effect on germination/growth. Some students of mine actually did this once and came up with some interesting results.

umm....just wondering, any1 know how to make a homebuilt ph testing device?

sure, you`ll need a meter (maybe stripped out of an old hi-fi or something)

an Iron rod (a old nail) and an Aluminium rod (from and CB antenna or the likes).

I`ve made one from the ring pull off a beer can and an old nail before :)

callibrate the meter needle so that it`s in the center of the veiw field (there`s a little circular clip next to a spring at the back of most) if it won`t centralise, you may CAREFULLY bend the needle and replace the cover lens.

acid will swing one way, Alkali will swing the other.

it really is THAT simple :)