Hurricane Ivan

blike

it doesnt look like its going to attack florida that badly, kinda looks like gentle side effects! considering what the main thing can do.

blike looks safe though. [if from his description in another hurricane thread, i think where abouts he lives is right]

why are there sooooo many hurricanes there at the moment?

what actually courses a hurricane? coz theres a lot of it round florida!

global warming is warmer weather.

when the ice caps melt, then we're screwed, until then we have hotter days.

hottness i doubt, cause hurricanes.

incidently, due to pollution rates and some other stuff, (the UK gets all of its heat from the gulf stream,) this could be cut off and if so the UK would become extremely cold, with arctic like winters and cool - cold summers. its an if though.

Will it ever end? I'm living right in the path of Ivan (hey, blike, you live on campus?), and three hurricanes in a row does seem like some sort of divine omen. And it's a Category 5 now! ¡Madre de dios! Winds of 145 miles per hour, 500 miles across, swarms of ravenous flesh-eating locusts...

Well, maybe not the locusts. But it's still gonna be bad. Almost everyone I love and care about is right in the path of Ivan, and in rather flimsy housing at that. I'm the most protected, living in a well-built concrete block three stories above ground level. The hurricane won't be too bad for me personally, but for everyone else I know, it's gonna really get them.

They posted advisories all over campus to get the hell out of Dodge when Ivan hits. I have nowhere safer to go than here. So, another fun little weekend for me, cooped up in my dorm room with nothing to do but watch the wind.

I just hope it veers off somewhere else. Florida's taken enough of a beating already, no matter how much I hate this state.

Alas, I do live on campus. I'm also pretty miffed about missing all this class, but what can you do?

Plus side, most of my roommates will be evacuated to their comfy little homes farther up the state. I will be without their presence for a few days. This thought fills me with an indescribable joy—the thought of that racuous rabble of rockheads not being here.

:D

Then again, 160-mph winds, pounding rains, everything being closed (so I starve while holed up in my bunker). Hey, it all has to balance out somewhere...

I would say there is most likely a link between global warming an the increased hurricane abundance. Hurricanes form in warm tropical waters, waters which when warmer increase the likelyhood of forming hurricanes. Oh and global warming will cause unseasonable bouts of cold weather in some areas.

I’m on a river just south of Tampa. Moderately worried about Ivan. We’ll probably be okay, but the thing about Tampa Bay is that it is like a large, shallow funnel. If the hurricane makes landfall north of Tampa the winds push a lot of water up Tampa Bay, big storm surge, lots of flooding and all that.

Charley didn’t hurt us here much because it came in south of us in Port Charlotte (and beat up the center of the state pretty badly). Francis was bigger and slower and exited the state north of Tampa. We got a moderate storm surge but not much wind damage. Downtown Tampa flooded and water started to come up the driveway where I live, but stopped short of the house.

As it looks now, Ivan will be far enough out in the Gulf I think so we shouldn’t get much flooding. That may be wishful thinking, but after two nasty storms already, I’d rather not believe the worst-case scenario.

BTW - They changed the hurricane naming system some time in the ‘70s I think it was to alternate between male and female names.

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/paleo/hurricane/index.html

Paleotempestology Resource Center

Paleohurricane Conference- March 2001

"Recent paleoclimate research reveals that relative to the past 5,000 years the most recent millennium has been a period of less intense hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin. More work to examine both frequency and intensity of severe storm events is currently underway in order to assess the 20th century in the context of the past centuries and the past millennium."

Granted - this was from a conference in 2001, and we seem to be having more hurricanes since then. But with regard to Paleotempestology, that seems to be more the norm than the exception to the rule.

The biggest problem is that people came to expect that hurricane strikes from big storms to the continental US were a real rarity, and during that time, they built very expensive mansions on barrier islands. The US Gov't, with its National Flood Insurance Program, aided in this, because without insurance, no one would have been able to get a mortgage. No bank or finance company would have lent money to an uninsured $500+k home.

So - now we have a lot of very expensive structures sitting in very precarious places, not to mention the human lives associated with them.

I read yesterday that the average elevation of New Orleans is -9'. It is protected from flooding from a levee system designed to control the Mississippi. If the storm surge from Ivan breaches the levies, the city will be flooded with water up to the roofs, and after the storm, there will be no where for it to drain away. Levees are another case where human attempts to control nature can make the situation far worse.