Hydrogen Fuel Cells

PogoC7

I've got to go to class, so I'll keep it short. Research has been done on this subject and people have said it's the most promising of alternitive energys.

Automoblie companies have put millions of dollors in their own research on hydrogen engines.

Bush is seeking to make hydrogen engines his formost concern in eco-politics.

BMW already says they sell this cars with hydrogen engines.

Economiclly, what would it take to transfer from a oil based civilization to an alternate energy source?

What is the exact sciences behind hydrogen fuel cells?

More Info: http://www.eren.doe.gov/RE/hydrogen_fuel_cells.html

If the hydrogen is extracted by electrolysis, then hydrogen fuel cells are not an energy source in the usual sense.

I doubt we can meet our needs by any other means though.

I believe large scale electrolysis should be more efficient than having gazillions of cars burning fossil fuels. But that doesn't make fuel cells totally clean.

Originally posted by Adam

They tryed to do that before, in the 80s, the problem with that is It takes more energy to produce fusion, than the energy produced from fusion

Break-even has been reached, by several different methods.

And cold fusion was the physical misunderstanding of Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann leading them to believe that fusion was happening in Palladium.

• 5 years later...

I have done some reading and a scientist has discovered that an alloy of Al and Ga will separate water into H2 and O2. This works because the Ga keeps the Al from oxidizing from the air, but water will split into hydrogen and oxygen. The O2 would be gone making aluminum oxide and the H2 would be able to be used as fuel (could u use it in an internal combustion engine?) I intend on trying this experiment as soon as i get some Ga.

the mai nreason people want to use hydrogen is because it is a clean fuel, also it explodes really well when ou rupture the tank, so that car accidents will look just like they do in Hollywood.

coulden't they design a N2 purge system that activates when it senses a crash or rupture?

I've heard the tanks store the hydrogen as hydrides, which means a bullet could pass through the tank and it wouldn't explode. You can store a whole lot more hydrogen too as oppossed to liquid hydrogen. United nuclear has some good info about it on their hydrogen conversion kit for cars page.