Windows XP Firewall

Guest Pat!

Why do I have to reset my firewall every time I start up my computer? Is this a settings problem or is some kind of software conflict causing this? Can anyone Help? Thanks Pat!

more description is needed, probably a compatability problem.

have you got SP2? as that greatly effects the windows firewall.

are you on a network? which may have a router and consequently its own firewall.

which may have a router and consequently its own firewall.

The routers firewall wouldn't cause any compatibility problems with windows built-in firewall, that is why I asked him if he has a 3rd party software firewall on the same machine :)

Maybe its because Windows XP is garbage...or at least I like to think so...

An out-of-the-box installation of windows might be garbage, but once you learn how to tweak and bend it to fit your needs it starts to show its beautiful side :)

Before anyone starts bashing me and labeling me as a Windows lover or Microsoft employee, know that I used to think as you do, that windows sucks. But then a wise person showed me the truth. There is no one OS that is better then the other. They are all equal as they all have been made to fit different roles, or to fit the same role in a different way. Besides, you can't judge what you don't understand. (NOTE: My last statement does not imply that everyone who says that any single OS sucks doesn't know anything about that particular OS) ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have linux on my notebook and prefer to use linux as a server on the network that I administer, as in my opinion it's much easier to configure.

An out-of-the-box installation of windows might be garbage, but once you learn how to tweak and bend it to fit your needs it starts to show its beautiful side
Yeah I suppose your right. I have never tweaked it. But, it does seem to me that Windows 98 just worked better "out-of-the-box" than WindowsXP :-( and the atrocious WindowsME :mad: .

What is Microsoft up to anywhy?

i think it is that people dont understand computers enough, i have never had a problem with a microsoft compurter or OS, my XP [a year old] has never crashed, IE has never got me ad-ware and norton has never given me problems.

all of those are usually described as bad, not the best and so on. however a good user shoulnt have problems with any of the above mentioned programs, so long as you are sensible.

What is Microsoft up to anywhy?

The answer is simple and you probably already know it...MONEY!!!! :cool:

Although they have to make a decent product and provide good support for it if they hope to earn anything. So although their 1st priority is to make cash, they have to balance that with spending cash first to improve their product. And with the recent increase in competition (Mac OS X, linux, etc...) they have really pulled themselves toghether(or at least they might be getting desperate, judging by some of the ridicules ideas they came up with lately :D ).

The routers firewall wouldn't cause any compatibility problems with windows built-in firewall, that is why I asked him if he has a 3rd party software firewall on the same machine :)

I have Zone Alarm, could it be turning off Windows firewall? Also I am having problems with my printer, it is an Epson 740. I read that Zone Alarm has been causing problems with some HP user's and wonder if it could be the culprit in my case to.

i dont have zone alarm but as popular freeware there will be many hacking tools to exploit gaps in it.... [or so im guessing]

it is unlikely that this is your problem, i will ask again: well, obduro asked the first time!:

Your explanation of the problem is too vague...could you be more specific?

A better description maybe?

you could always turn of the windows firewall, its not essential and ZA is good anyway.

have you got SP2 as that effects the windows firewall

In my opinion this issue is caused by Zone Alarm. The same behavior can be observed with 2 3rd party software firewalls run simultanesly. The same thing goes for anti-virus software and so on. The reason for this is because both firewalls need priority access to your network card(or modem if that's what you use) in order to decide what to let trough and what not. Now you can imagine what is going on in there where both are taking over the control from each other...chaos...with unpredictable consequences

I would recommend you to turn off you windows firewall, trust me you won't miss it because Zone Alarm is far more advanced. The windows firewall is pretty much the simplest firewall you can get, it blocks all unrequest incoming traffic, just like a routers hardware firewall. the only diference is that routers firewalls can be configured while windows firewall has all options hard-coded.

My computer does not seem to be affected by this occurrence. Hope this explains it. I turn on my computer and go to controll panel and check network connections. Firewall is turned off, so I turn it back on. It stays on as long as my computer is on. When I shut off my computer and later turn it back on, I check network connections and the firewall is turned off again. obduro is probably right, Zone Alarm must turn it off.

although i cant say from first hand experience, SP2 is meant to improve user control over the windows firewall, however do what obduro said, i've had firewall's clashing with each other before, just get rid of the one which is not as good, in this case the windows one.

i have never had anti-viruses conflict like this, and i've tried differenet ones at the same time... maybe it was a one off, i've seen people effectively and problem free use more than one firewall at the same time, however it is advisable not to have this and more to the point is not needed and is a waste of system resources.

make sure you properly disabble the firewall and stop it running at start up.

i just though, i dont think people realise this:

normally its to do with settings not being properly saved, the program wont be schelduled to run on boot-up, unless you tick the box 'run on start-up' then it wont, if you just turn it on, dont expect it to stay on once you restart