DIY EMP generator

JonnyDeath

I'm trying to find a directional emitter other than a coil.

I realize I can just shield one side of the coil and aim it in the desired direction but, I'm hoping to find something more directional and focusing.

If I use a coil, I'll simply use a cap and switching diode but hopefully there is something better......

Planning on knocking out one of those car stereos that rolls through your neighborhood at night like an earth quake? Let me know if you succeed, I might want one, heh heh heh...

No but that's not a bad idea. If you just buried the coil in the ground near the street and angled it properly, it wouldn't be difficult because you wouldn't need excessive power.

Couldn't an EMP cause a spark somewhere inside the car... particulary in the fuel tank? :huh:

The odds of an EMF generating a spark, even with it being an EMP powerful enough to knock out a radio, are so insignificant it's more likely the car get struck by lightning. Also, gas tanks don't tend to explode unless they're basically empty and full of pressurized fumes. You're dealing with magnetic waves, something would need to convert them back into electricity. If anything sparks, it would be electronic rather than electrical and to get sparks, it would need to be insanely powerful.

An EMP of enough power to fry a stereo is also likely to just fry the car's computer as well and bring the vehicle to a halt. In fact, I'm about positive my car has been shot by them by the a*hole road crew guys.

A half dozen times over the years, I've seen the road crew guys trying to keep out of sight and point a weird little gun at me that was clearly home made. It wasn't some Sharper Image radar gun that's for certain.

Each time it happened, soon after I started having all sorts of computer nightmares and sensors repeatedly dying.

I'm certain it was a small microwave cannon, EMP or ion cannon.

Why they did it and continue to do it, I have no idea but I saw one again just this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago as a young(ish) radar technician we had to stop our own planes buzzing our installation. We had to point out the danger of sparks occuring in their systems. In particular we didn't like the thought that we might fire their guns for them!

• 2 weeks later...