How do I obtain ethanol for preserving specimens?

cazmantis

Hi,

I am not sure if this is in the right place or not! I need to obtain some 80% ethanol in order to preserve Hymenoptera specimens but I am having real trouble pinning down how to do this! I know you can procure absinthe up to 80% but I read that specimens should ideally be preserved in a clear alcoholic liquid. Could somebody please help me out with this query! I just need to make sure the DNA will be preserved for (a maximum of) 2 months!

Thanks!

Caz

Hi,

I am not sure if this is in the right place or not! I need to obtain some 80% ethanol in order to preserve Hymenoptera specimens but I am having real trouble pinning down how to do this! I know you can procure absinthe up to 80% but I read that specimens should ideally be preserved in a clear alcoholic liquid. Could somebody please help me out with this query! I just need to make sure the DNA will be preserved for (a maximum of) 2 months!

Thanks!

Caz

You might be able to find some ethyl-rubbing alcohol that is 80%. I know Walgreens cares rubbing alcohol that is 70% ethanol. So you might be able to find 80% somewhere.

Hi,

Thanks!

Caz

If you live in the USA go to your local liquor store and ask for Everclear, it's about 190 proof or 95% alcohol and it doesn't have the flavor impurities something like absinthe has.

You could dunk them in vodka, if you have small enough specimens. You can buy 95% "rubbing alcohol" in the store or pharmacy, but you can't drink that stuff. It contains stuff other than ethanol, which will make it toxic to you (of course, toxic is kind of the point when preserving). Check the bottle, as not all of the "rubbing alcohol" will be mostly ethanol (ethyl alcohol). What it will be is a preservative of some kind.

Also, if you get the 95% stuff, you may want to dilute it. Add a little less than 1 part water to 5 parts 95% alcohol.

Iso propyl alcohol is also used to preserve specimens it would seem and is easier to procure in a high enough concentration and purity than ethanol in th UK. I found it here at 99% purity and reasonably cheap...would this be a good alternative?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL,-ISOPROPANOL--500ml-min-99%25-pure_W0QQitemZ320434307193QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=128865656547&rvr_id=128865656547&cguid=a0b37eff12a0a0aad5a31e13ffd96325