Anything wrong with me taking the rest of my pain meds?

zapatos

I received a prescription for a drug to help with my lower back pain. The pain has since gone away but I have a lot of the drug left. The drug makes me more alert like an amphetamine, makes me feel good, is non-addicting, and costs me next to nothing. I like it. Is there any good reason I shouldn't keep taking it for recreational purposes? Is it any different than drinking coffee or scotch?

Is it any different than drinking coffee or scotch?

Assuming your medication is neither caffeine nor alcohol, I'd imagine that, yes, it is different than coffee or scotch.

Beyond the usual caveat not to take your medication against or outside of the supervision of a physician--which I gather is not relevant to you here--can I ask what pain med you're on that is non-addicting and has amphetamine-like excitatory effects?

Assuming your medication is neither caffeine nor alcohol, I'd imagine that, yes, it is different than coffee or scotch.

Beyond the usual caveat not to take your medication against or outside of the supervision of a physician--which I gather is not relevant to you here--can I ask what pain med you're on that is non-addicting and has amphetamine-like excitatory effects?

I just meant is there some ethical difference between taking a drug that I can obtain at a grocery store as opposed to a pharmacy.

The drug is Tramadol.

Well, I think the good old Hive Mind clears up one issue for us real quick.

Yes, I obviously should not have made it such a blanket statement. But I tend not to view my regular intake of alcohol, caffeine, sex, and prescribed drugs under a doctor's supervision as very risky. So, given the fact that I could become addicted, should I not take it? Since there is a risk of addiction, should I have have quit taking it prior to my back healing when I could withstand the pain without the medication?

What are you going to do when you run out?

I just won't take it anymore. Since my back is no longer an issue I don't need it for anything.

I don't take any illegal drugs (not since smoking pot in college anyway) and have always tried not to take any prescription drugs unless I really needed them. And now I suddenly have some drugs that I don't really need to take, but want to take because I like it, and this makes me feel conflicted. I don't feel it's any riskier than having a drink, but I guess I wonder if it is crossing some line I shouldn't cross.

I imagine any illegal drug user is laughing at my conflict, but I was just curious what others thought.

As along time chronic pain sufferer I've taken a great many pain meds under doctor supervision and otherwise, to give you a real answer I would have to know exactly what you are taking. you could be worrying about nothing or taking your life into your own hands. PM me if you are reluctant to let every one know what you are taking but as far as ethics, it's your pills, I see no reason not to do with them as you please as long as you are informed as to the possible effects...

I received a prescription for a drug to help with my lower back pain. The pain has since gone away but I have a lot of the drug left. The drug makes me more alert like an amphetamine, makes me feel good, is non-addicting, and costs me next to nothing. I like it. Is there any good reason I shouldn't keep taking it for recreational purposes? Is it any different than drinking coffee or scotch?

I am sorry...but are you asking for permission to take prescriptive drugs whilst the symptom isn't present? :blink:

Consider this...one can build up a tolerance...what are you going to do if you have a lumbar laminectomy in fifteen years and the pain meds don't work due to overuse?

Hyperbolic scare tactic, I know...except that I have seen where this was the case and it wasn't pretty.

Edited by divagreen