Hydrogen Peroxide

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Guest TriggerDunpo

I tried freezing the water/H2O2 stuff (3%). It's been in a freezer kept at -8ºC for a few days now. I got nothin. Any ideas? I had a feeling this would happen, I just don't know how far I can go before everything will want to freeze.

Guest TriggerDunpo
:P well if I had access to that... but in my dorm room all I have is the original bottles and my little freezer, which is stable at -8ºC

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is not directly related to this page on the thread, but I know you guys were talking about making iodine crystals somewhere !

I read somewhere that you can make iodine by mixing tincture of iodine with 30% hydrogen peroxide. Anybody heard of this or tried it before?

well, you can do a few things. petroleum ether works as a good solvent and you can remove iodine crystals. you will also have some potassium iodide, which you can acidify with H2SO4 (MAKE SURE IT IS NO MORE THAN 20% CONC, LEST YOU HAVE HI GAS AND POSSIBLY A DEHYDRATION REACTION YIELDING SO2 AND H2S) and then react with hydrogen peroxide to form iodine. also you could take the iodide solution and pump chlorine gas into it and you'll have a displacement reaction yielding iodine.

Hmmmm about the chlorine method...would this create iodine gas or crystals? And what type of temperatures would I need to be working at? Would the electrolysis of brine be an adequate means of producing chlorine for this setup or would the oxygen produced at the anode get in the way?

OK I tried this and I got about 0.5 g of silvery iodine crystals, so it worked. I realized that there was way excess chlorine gas, and now I wonder why didn't the I2 form ICl? (heh i'm not complaining though)

crystals, which would sublime. this works at room temp... i suggest KMnO4+HCl to produce Cl2. another effective method would be to use NaOCl/Ca(OCl)2 (fractionally crystallized from bleach) and HCl

When I made my chlorine gas, which was quickly sealed in a glass ampoule, we did so using the HCl + Ca(OCL)2 method. Calcium hypochlorite is very cheap and easy to purchase in bulk. It's known as 'pool shock' and is a bit better value than sodium hypochlorite. (The two hypochlorite ions are a bit better than just one). So we had an apparatus where in the first vessel was a slightly oversaturated solution of Ca(OCL)2 and concentrated HCL added in dropwise. An outlet in the vessel then forced the resulting gas to flow through a vessel full of distilled water. From the water vessel, an outlet forced the purified chlorine gas to go through a vessel filled with anhydrous sodium bicarbonate. This dried the gas and finally, the last outlet led into the test tube where we collected the gas and eventually sealed it in. The setup worked very well and we generated a LOT of chlorine gas. We finally ended the reaction by putting in some anhydrous sodium hydroxide into the reaction vessel which quenched the reaction and formed a lot of bleach. heh. I guess that's why chlorine is my favorite sample. I generated it myself, purified it myself, dried it myself, and sealed it up myself. It was fun. (Well, it wasn't all by myself. I was up at Dave Hamric's and he was willing to help me out since he'd then be able to use the apparatus to offer chlorine to his customers if requested).

At a pool/spa supply store you can get everything you need to make as much chlorine/bromine as you want. Once you've got the chlorine generation going on, you can direct the chlorine into a solution of NaBr which can be found at a pool/spa store. This will give you plenty of bromine and then you can use that to have some "fun" with aluminum or create some iodine from KI or NaI.

I think they are. They always start out a bit slowly as the aluminum-oxide barrier is kind of annoying. However, once they pick up in speed and intensity they are INCREDIBLY neat to see.

Yeah, that's why I like the Iodine/Aluminum reaction. However, that beautiful purple cloud can do some nasty damage to your lungs if you go and inhale parts of it. It will cause a nasty case of pulmonary edema just like chlorine and bromine will.

Liquid Iodine is also pretty neat looking. It's a VERY thick, soupy liquid that just pours out a deep purple vapor. When I actually saw the liquid, I was shocked. It was just Iodine in a test tube that we heated up, and I guess the vapor pressure from the subliming Iodine on the surface was enough to allow the rest of the solid iodine to actually melt. REALLY neat stuff.