Hydrogen Peroxide

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... If you make nitrogen tri-iodide, it won't even explode if the iodine is >99,99%? Or was it the other way around? :) Horse hoof-ailment medicine is like 98% iodine, so if it's that way, it should work just fine.

eh, yes it will explode if the iodine is < or > 99.99% pure. whats this hoof-ailment medicine? can you link me to some?

A reaction between iodide and iodate under acidic conditions (HCl would do nicely) would release iodine.

If you already have iodide, then a lot of the problem is solved. Iodate shouldn't be hard to get hold of as its quite a cheap reagent.

hmm, i actually was thinking about using seaweed. apparently[/b'], if you acidify it with sulfuric acid it will form iodine anions. then add an oxidizer like hydrogen peroxide and you get iodine.

you said "apparently" does this actually work? do you need vast quantities?

is this a practically realsitic method of obtaining iodine?

Actually, when making nitrogen triiodide it's a good thing to have some KI mixed in with the Iodine since that will allow it to dissolve in water a whole lot better, which will allow it to react with the ammonia a lot easier. Trust me on this. I've garnered much better yields of NI3 by having some iodide salts thrown into the mixture while it's reacting. The aqueous iodine is able to become more "intimate" with the ammonia thus resulting in a better reaction. :)

Wahahahaaaaa, geez does this convo ever take me back to when I was a kid :)

it`s not all that hard actualy, just time consuming.

you`ll need to dry alot of it 1`stly (about 5 kilo wet weight) then crush it up so that it`ll fit into a sauce pan with a lid (you need the lid idealy).

then just put it on a fire and collect the ash, add water to it and filter it, there will be your Iodine rich chems :)

and no, you DON`T need H2O2 to get iodine from it, infact you`ll prolly have some stuck to your saucepan lid!

don`t be fooled, it really is THAT EASY!

And the nitrogen triiodide you make will cause all the effort to be well worth it. :D NI3 is the whole reason why I got into chemistry, and it's the whole reason why I have a complete collection of the elements. (Minus fluorine and the radioactives). And they say you never learn things from watching tv. HA! (I found out about nitrogen triiodide by watching the movie 'The Manhattan Project'. It looked cool, and when my chem teacher said that I wasn't allowed to make it, it clinched the notion that I HAD to make it).

don`t be fooled, it really is THAT EASY!

shame i live in london, cant wait till i next go down to the beach.

does the stuff you buy in chinese food shops work? it will have been filtered and made edible and possibly cooked, so its quite likely it wont.

"I have a complete collection of the elements."

Great to see that someone else is interested in element collecting. Perhaps we'll meet someday in an element collector meeting or something. :D

"I have a complete collection of the elements. (Minus fluorine and the radioactives)."

Oh but the radioactives are the best part, up to 95 that is. :) Uranium ore is easy to obtain (atleast in Finland you don't even need a permit to own even highly active ore samples), radium and promethium from antique clocks, thorium from lantern mantles (pure metal is quite easy to obtain too) and with the U-ore you get astatine, francium and radon in one sample. :) Also, a nice addition to your collection is a smoke detector ionization chamber; it contains americium and it's decay product neptunium. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, there's a little amount of plutonium in uranium-beryllium allanite. Oh, and technetium; that's a bit tricky, but there are companies that can provide small pieces of actual technetium metal.