What Will finaly prove or disprove that there is a God (in any religion)?

Izzy_Bee

If you have no free-will, you are not sentient. Also, a god with no ability to do what he wants seems in contradiction to most views of god.

Well, I disagree with several of your premises, but I don't want to go off on a tangent for no reason. So, I'll keep it narrow: why would our not having free will negate a god having free will? Are most views of god not of a being in some way outside the physical laws of the universe?

By "no free-will" I mean that placing the person in an isolated environment where the initial conditions are exactly known, the observer could in principle predict every action taken by the person (no matter how small) for the rest of time.

I'm not sure what that has at all to do with whether or not one or more deities exist.

Well, I disagree with several of your premises, but I don't want to go off on a tangent for no reason. So, I'll keep it narrow: why would our not having free will negate a god having free will? Are most views of god not of a being in some way outside the physical laws of the universe?

I was considering god was included in the 'we'. But you make a good point - since we can never prove a property of an omnipotent god, I suppose we could never prove this anyway.

So let me weaken my statement - I would stop believing in god if it were proved that I had no free will.

If you have no free-will, you are not sentient. Also, a god with no ability to do what he wants seems in contradiction to most views of god.

Or perhaps God created the Universe in such a way it was tailored to every individual's choices. From our perspective it appears deterministic and technically it is* - but if we have one path in life, why do we have that one specific path? If it is all the result of chance, then that's one thing, but why wouldn't God be powerful enough to ensure that the deterministic features of the Universe and our individual senses of Free Will fit together perfectly?

Technically, if God is a factor that supersedes the Universe by virtue of having created the place, he could whip something up in a pinch.

*with some quantum randomishness for good measure, since it's always brought up

• 3 weeks later...

Proves it

The Earths ending as depicted in Revelation with lambs, horns, Angels, fire and brimstone and mountains falling into the sea. I think we'd all get down on our knees begging for forgiveness if that happened on Sky News, even Richard Dawkins.

Disproves it

I don't think human science will ever disprove it, but it may well prove it to be so 'far fetched' with a probability of 0.0 (and a bit) that nobody believes in it anymore apart from a few small pockets of people somewhere on the North Pole.

To completely eradicate the theory I believe it would need some extra terrestrial intervention who basically say they've never heard of him and it was they who visited Moses etc all those years ago Proof of which will be stored on their ipods.