magnetic space suit

Magnetic Space Suit

I want to engineer a room that has electromagnetic tiles on the floor and the surface of these tiles would be polarized south. i also want to create a suit that has various magnetic metals on the suit placed in specific anatomical positions and the surface of these metals would be polarized north. if calibrated correctly this could be used in space to pull down the person in the suit and allow the user to walk freely in a spacecraft. this would cause the person to use their muscles more often and the bones would have pressure on them. I believe this would either slow down or halt the process of bone and muscle loss. it isnt a complete solution but its a new approach to solving the problem of body degredation while in space. i believe it could work if i had a sponsor or some funds and a team of people who could help out i believe it is an ingenious idea. leave me any comments opinions or questions if you dont completely understand.

Well this is an amazingly simple idea I wonder why NASA hasn't implemented it? Two problems immediately strike me when I see this and they involve working with others wearing the same suit and working with metal. Working with others would be a problem because there is a good chance you would be constantly pulling yourselves apart. Working with metal would no longer be possible and replacing everything with other materials would be difficult and, in some cases I'm sure, not even possible. Also the required levels of magnetism would probably not be recommended by overseeing bodies who are studying and placing restrictions on such matters.

Though a good idea, this would never be practical in anything else than an empty room. When you are dealing with electronic components, signals, etc., large magnetic fields are not going to be friendly and cause a lot of problems and interference and damage.

The best you could do would be to do this on the bottom of the feet of a suit and the magnetic fields you would want to be really weak comparatively, but I still don't think it would be practical.

That would kind of work, but the astronaut themselves would be weightless with their suit yanking them around. Artificial gravity is not hard to do -- simply use centrifugal force. For example attach two modules with a wire and then spin it. Artificial gravity for the weight and cost of a wire.

Well this is an amazingly simple idea I wonder why NASA hasn't implemented it? Two problems immediately strike me when I see this and they involve working with others wearing the same suit and working with metal. Working with others would be a problem because there is a good chance you would be constantly pulling yourselves apart. Working with metal would no longer be possible and replacing everything with other materials would be difficult and, in some cases I'm sure, not even possible. Also the required levels of magnetism would probably not be recommended by overseeing bodies who are studying and placing restrictions on such matters.

the surface of the suits would all be the same magnetic polarity so they wouldnt attact they would repel and for the power it wouldnt have to be great because there is no gravity fighting against the magnetism

Though a good idea, this would never be practical in anything else than an empty room. When you are dealing with electronic components, signals, etc., large magnetic fields are not going to be friendly and cause a lot of problems and interference and damage.

The best you could do would be to do this on the bottom of the feet of a suit and the magnetic fields you would want to be really weak comparatively, but I still don't think it would be practical.

it is true that the magnetic fields would cause some interference and it would be relatively weak because in space there would be no gravity fighting against the magnetic force

That would kind of work, but the astronaut themselves would be weightless with their suit yanking them around. Artificial gravity is not hard to do -- simply use centrifugal force. For example attach two modules with a wire and then spin it. Artificial gravity for the weight and cost of a wire.

i understand the organs in the body would float but it would put pressure on the muscles and bones and this would could be used for physical training. and for spinning a spacecraft to get the exact feeling of earths gravity the distance between the two modules would have to be great my idea is just a new approach to the problem of weightlessness and bone and muscle loss in space

the surface of the suits would all be the same magnetic polarity so they wouldnt attact they would repel and for the power it wouldnt have to be great because there is no gravity fighting against the magnetism

Magnets are dipoles. You can't have a magnet that is only North or only South. It will have both poles. So they'd interact with each other.

Even if it did work, now the astronauts would repel each other. Kind of inconvenient.

Magnets are dipoles. You can't have a magnet that is only North or only South. It will have both poles. So they'd interact with each other.

Even if it did work, now the astronauts would repel each other. Kind of inconvenient.

the surface of the suit would be polarized north and the interior would be south and for repelling the suits wouldnt be extremely magnetically strong they wouldnt need to be since gravity isnt fighting against the magnetic forces

But then they wouldn't be attracted to the floor. The ones on the side of your body would be horizontal, so they'd be equally attracted and repelled from the floor. The ones on the bottoms of your shoes would be attracted, but the ones on the top of your body (shoulders, perhaps) would be oriented the opposite way and would thus be repelled from the floor. It wouldn't work.

the surface of the suit would be polarized north and the interior would be south and for repelling the suits wouldnt be extremely magnetically strong they wouldnt need to be since gravity isnt fighting against the magnetic forces

It is impossible to have the entire surface of an object be polarized one way or the other. The north and south cancel each other out exactly, because magnetic field lines are loops, and they have to "double back." Look:

image004.jpg

It is impossible to have the entire surface of an object be polarized one way or the other. The north and south cancel each other out exactly, because magnetic field lines are loops, and they have to "double back." Look:

image004.jpg

so what your telling me is i couldnt create a space suit that has various metals placed in such a way that they form a magnetic north field on the exterior and your telling me there is no way that the interior of the suit could be south i believe your mind cant grasp a problem and figure it out

I'm not understanding why the metal on the suit needs to be polarized to begin with? What is wrong with simply attaching metal at various points aside from the part where interacting with others would become a problem? And I'm still unclear as to how a magnet on top of your head with a common pole pointing out won't have the opposite effect as the one on the bottom of your boot? Another thing how much power is this going to require and how much heat will be generated?

How will you vary the magnetism acting on each astronaut? The amount of force needed to keep a 110 female astronaut on the ground would not be the same as the force required to keep a 210 male astronaut on the ground.

i understand the organs in the body would float but it would put pressure on the muscles and bones and this would could be used for physical training.

Agreed. But there are already machines up there, such as a space treadmill, for putting pressure and exercising. Also your idea will not get rid of one of the problems of astronauts involving internal blood pressure differences.

and for spinning a spacecraft to get the exact feeling of earths gravity the distance between the two modules would have to be great my idea is just a new approach to the problem of weightlessness and bone and muscle loss in space

It need not be very far at all. I suggest you go to an amusement park and check out some of the centrifugal force based rides, or a playground with a merry-go-round, or find any centrifugal force based entertainment. In any case, the weight and cost of a wire is very low even for several meters of it.

The suit would have to be magnetic if there was only a electromagnetic floor underneath because as you go further from these tiles the field weakens. so a gradual increase of magnetic strengths of metals would have to be used from the feet to the head. the power wouldnt have to be great because a magnet will seem stronger in space because there is no gravity fighting against the magnetic force. Also a computer could be connected to these tiles and could regulate the strength of the tiles. The computer wouldnt have to be in the room if the interference is too great. this is just one approach I have I also thought about different approaches but this is why this should be tested and analyzed over and over again until we find the right metallic materials for the suit and floor; there are also new magnetic materials that exist and I would like to mess around with those as well to see if it might benefit my suit in some way. There are many things though that must be taken in consideration I understand this but I believe this is completely possible just lots of testing

• 7 years later...

Won't work.  To reduce apathy in weightlessness a suit with bungee or similar throughout running through channels would do. If they want to stay vertical I'd look at a constant vacuum "reverse air hockey" system with boots that conform and seal down. It's not heavy or complicated.