Test Your "Risk Intelligence"

needimprovement

Here's an interesting site I came across this morning that has a test that purports to measure what's described as one's "risk intelligence," which is described as:

Risk Intelligence Quotient (RQ) is a measure of a person’s ability to estimate probabilities accurately. People with high risk intelligence tend to make better predictions than those with low RQ. This five minute test will measure your RQ.

The idea is not necessarily to answer the questions correctly, but to see how well you can estimate the probability that your answer would be correct. It seems that this idea is related to the Dunning–Kruger effect, which is the idea that incompetent people have a tendency to overestimate their competence, while the reverse tends to be true for competent people.

I scored 66, which was described as average.

That is a very nice find! At first I thought it might be some cheesy nonsense, but this looks like the real deal. I think everyone here at SFN should take that test. The beauty of this test is that it is a test of yourself and not so much about external factors.

My score was 79.

82 here.

I have a hard time seeing how this can really sample from the data, due to:

1) being sure of an answer, but wrong

2) being almost certain, but still fuzzy

3) what if you know all the answers?

I'm sure there's some logic and sense to it (based on the fact it has a fancy website) but it sorta evades me.

The way it works is that if you label 10 questions 90% then 9 of them should be true and 1 false. For the ones you label 80%, 8 should be true and 2 false, etc. Any deviation from that lowers your score. If you happen to know all the answers the test fails (giving you 100% if you rated the answers at 100% and 0%), whereas if you know nothing and put 50% for each the test also fails (in this case it will probably give you 100% since they usually have an equal number of true and false questions -- but otherwise a lower score). Rather than testing for knowledge this test is about how well you judge the extent of your own knowledge.