Eye's after death

Guest gary

I have spoke to a few people about the color of peoples eyes after death.

It has been said by a few people that the eye color changes.

One person said

There eyes where Brown but when I saw them 2 hours after death they had turned blue

why is this.

The best half theorys I can come up with is the loss of Pigments and the draining of the small amount of blood in the eye.

anther was that maybe if the eye had two tones the domenent color would remain?

I am guessing of course.

I would like it if anyone else has any information on this subject

so does it matter that the eye 'lost its color'

within 2 hours this is whats mainly bothering me.

there is no blue pigment, it's just an absense of any pigment

and I thought as much to this cos babys have no color when they or born, giving the appearence of blue eyes

Well, If someone always wanted to have beautiful blue eyes. Death is something to look forward too. Maybe someone can take a picture of you two hours after death and that picture can be the one people remember you by, with beautiful blue eyes.

I wish my girlfriend had blue eyes.

Originally posted by PogoC7

Well, If someone always wanted to have beautiful blue eyes. Death is something to look forward too. Maybe someone can take a picture of you two hours after death and that picture can be the one people remember you by, with beautiful blue eyes.

I wish my girlfriend had blue eyes.

well if you don't mind her dead....

The colour of the eye, as defined by the colour of the iris, doesn't change post-mortem. If a person has brown eyes, this is due to a higher concentration of melanin in the iris than a person with blues eyes (as Fafalone said). However, the colour of the iris is not dependent upon the continual production of melanin. When a person with brown eyes dies, the colour of the iris remains unaffected.

The change in eye colour that you can see in the eyes of dead people is due to opacity of the cornea, aqueous humour and lense brought about by lack of oxygen. Once a person dies, they stop producing tears and blinking, and blood circulation ceases. The cornea must be moist in order that oxygen may be absorbed.

So, the iris of the individual stays whatever colour it was. However, the pupils dilate on death and if you look into the (now very large) pupils a few hours after death, you will notice a distictive blue-white 'haze'. This is the change that people report.

If you want an example, but want to avoid staring into the eyes of a dead person (which is not very pleasant), look at the eyes of a dead fish. The same thing happens there, and you will see the noticable blue-white colour in the pupil.

In the case of neonates, it is the iris that lacks pigment. the pupils and lenses should be perfectly clear (i.e. black) very shortly after birth.

Of all animals, human babies are the most underdeveloped at birth. For example, in premature cases the liver is not fully functional and they cannot metabolise bilirubin, so they appear jaundiced and have to be placed under UV lights, which breaks the bilirubin down in the skin. The same goes for the eyes. Neonate eyes are underdeveloped and It can take a little while for the eyes of newborns to acheive their true colour.

The same can be apparent of their hair. A lot of babies that are born with hair, are born blonde. after a while, they produce sufficient melanin to acheive their true colour.

• 1 year later...

In this case, it is melanin, the pigment that colours eyes brown. Really, there are no such things as 'blue eyes', just eyes that are not brown.

All shades of eye colour reflect a concentration of melanin. Brown = lots, green = less, hazel = even less, light blue = none.

Everyone one is born with blue eyes, and while we are on about eyes after death, as I am doing a Forensic Science i learned that the most accurate way to determine time of death was to take a sample of fluid from the eye, and calculate the value of Potassium concentration Kv.

• 7 months later...

i have heard that eye color does affect vision... for example, why do athletes smear that black stuff under their eyes? to reduce light glare. i think that the pigment may have the same effect. The point is that what i heard was dark colored eyes may be able to see better than lighter colored eyes due to the reduced glare. I dont know how true this is and I will have to suspend judgement on this one.

i have heard that eye color does affect vision... for example, why do athletes smear that black stuff under their eyes? to reduce light glare. i think that the pigment may have the same effect. The point is that what i heard was dark colored eyes may be able to see better than lighter colored eyes due to the reduced glare. I dont know how true this is and I will have to suspend judgement on this one.

that is basically what i meant with my first question

The cornea of the eye dries out after death becoming a milky or hazy color about 8-10 hours after death. Maybe thats why brown eyes may look more bluish in color. Postmortem changes to the eyes are a very good indicator of death along with the milky color, the responsiveness to light, touch and pressure are also a good indicator of death.