bumper stickers

abeefaria

In the U.S., I have noticed that bumper stickers are becoming ridiculous, in this man's opinion. In addition to the normal crap, people are advertising bars or parts of a state with three letter bumper stickers and a lot of people have turned their vehicles into mobile epitaphs, showing the name and birth/death dates of someone. Some of the most embarrassing (I am embarrassed that these people are on the same branch of the evolutionary tree that I occupy) are the ones with a cartoon character urinating on something or flipping the bird.

Please tell me this is a U.S. phenomena and has not spread overseas.

Overseas? I can't say we have this problem in Canada! I don't recall the last time I saw a bumper sticker and any of the ones I have seen are to support a favorite radio station ...... But the problem is fitting of the American extremist attitude which the world has come to expect.

Edited by buttacup

Overseas? I can't say we have this problem in Canada! I don't recall the last time I saw a bumper sticker and any of the ones I have seen are to support a favorite radio station ...... But the problem is fitting of the American extremist attitude which the world has come to expect.

Indeed; however, not all of us have the "extremist attitude" ;)

Births/Deaths no. I think I've seen Roadrunner flipping the bird.

In Oz each State gov puts some stupid saying across the bottom of the plate so bumper stickers doing similar becomes redundant.

Down here bumber stickers are generally places people have been, or some sort of political comment.

You do see the occasional "If you can read this I've lost the bloody caravan again" or similar around the traps.

it really varies widely community to community, in Phoenix you see tons of "CCV" decals (christ's church of the valley,) a prominent megachurch, plenty of jesus fish, fairly standard right vs left wing bumper stickers, and then various random cartoons are quotes or jokes that more just represent the drivers attitude to drivers or traffic or whatever, plus the various "i give blood," "help a child," "my student gets honors" crap. Ive only seen a handful of the epitaph ones though.

North in Flagstaff it's a different story, sure you get the political ones (in different ratios though,) and the personal expression ones of course, but we have a ton more hippy-dippy "tolerance" and "diversity" and neo-pagan or new age symbols, and comparatively few jesus fish.

In either town I haven't seen more than two or three darwin fish, and unfortunately never seen an FSM in use.

Edited by AzurePhoenix

Here in the South Eastern USA I see a lot of cars that would almost fall apart with out their stickers, a couple of my favs

KILL YOUR TELEVISION!

and of course "My kid just kicked the crap out of your honor student"

Edited by Moontanman

ah yes :P my personal favorite is "my juvenile delinquent is banging your honor student," a rare one that i think comes from American Gods...

A bumper sticker that reads "my juvenile delinquent is banging your honor student" is exactly what I am talking about when I wrote that I am embarrassed to be on the same branch of the evolutionary tree as a person who thinks it is okay to have this sticker displayed. When Man's potential is perhaps boundless (and his potential to live in a society where high manners are the status quo), to have such unsophisticated, offensive and regressive tripe such as this, is intolerable, imo.

A bumper sticker that reads "my juvenile delinquent is banging your honor student" is exactly what I am talking about when I wrote that I am embarrassed to be on the same branch of the evolutionary tree as a person who thinks it is okay to have this sticker displayed.

Why? It's both funny and likely to be true.

Here's a bumper sticker for you:

Go get laid. You'll be a lot less uptight.

A bumper sticker that reads "my juvenile delinquent is banging your honor student" is exactly what I am talking about when I wrote that I am embarrassed to be on the same branch of the evolutionary tree as a person who thinks it is okay to have this sticker displayed. When Man's potential is perhaps boundless (and his potential to live in a society where high manners are the status quo), to have such unsophisticated, offensive and regressive tripe such as this, is intolerable, imo.

Ah, from my perspective that sort is exactly what we need more of. I'm irked by all the people with sugary-sweet or declaratively proud or self-righteously pious people that go around expressing their seriousness via stickers on car bumpers or windows. It seems to me like a medium specifically intended for nothing more than snarky mockery or clever quips rather than a serious way to lecture people.

Some people prefer an unbound sense of humor, others prefer stuffiness and manners, some prefer the middle-ground. Whatever, it's totally subjective. I personally think we're too obsessed with not offending people as it is.

In Michigan you have your standard array of bumper stickers. The most popular being the political ones, the Jesus fish, and the coexist sticker. Personally on my car I have two bumper stickers one that says BRK, which stands for Breckenridge, and the U of M block M.

I do think bumper stickers are way better than truck nuts.

Edited by DJBruce

ddf4_star_trek_car_emblem.jpg

I need one :blink:

DJ, Trucks have nuts? I didn't know trucks had gender... :lol:

There's a beat up truck that I saw driving around here that had huge tires, stickers everywhere, and a short chain with some rubber balls on the end of it, hanging off of the rear bumper. I can't believe someone actually would drive that monstrosity.

Edited by TriNitroSocks