Our Nation's Education

George W. Bush

When I went to school long ago the establishment was just getting the idea of schooling where the exceptional students were separated out for special attention just like the slow kids. It meant more and better teachers but at Walt Disney School in Anaheim in the late 50's they had plenty of money.

Average kids had average school. It worked pretty good.

As far as prejudice you will still see it in an all white school as the strong prey on the week, the pretty prey on the funny looking, and worst of all is the fat kid. We have a lot more than color prejudice to deal with in the future.

It's all fixable with effort and a lot of resources. We just have to do it.

Just aman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In elementary school and middle school we had a program restricted to those who scored 128 and up on an IQ test, but once we got to highschool honors/AP classes were open to anyone. There was always a distinct social line between those in honors and those in general. Especially in middle school, because we were completely isolated from everyone else, even between classes. Those were the days...

Ok first time posting so here it goes, Mr. President, if that's really you, down here in Columbus Georgia schools are a joke. The regular classes are nothing but worksheets and crossword puzzles, and the honers classes are nothing but writing 2 page papers, which all the kids copy straight out of the book, learning nothing. I have come to hate school, but i do enjoy learning. 99% of my classmates DO NOT WANT to learn so why are they even in school? I'll tell ya why, because in order to graduate from my highschool you can do it easily without learning ANYThING! I say again all we do are crosswords and worksheets and copying definitions which does not teach kids anything. Mr President I passed my graduation test last year (junior year) with all pass+'s. The other kids in my homeroom are still struggling to even pass it on their 3rd and 4th times attempting it! Why not make a standardized test that is difficult, and if the students pass that they can automatically receive their high school diploma? I feel I am one of the smartest kids in my graduating class but my class rank is very low. Why? because in georgia a.k.a da Dirty South, there is no study hall, all my non core classes are even a bigger joke then my core ones. so i spend my time reading a book or something, which 95% of my classmates probably have never done! Reading for fun. (Michael Crichton is the shizznit)

I'm sorry but school isn't even about learning anymore, its about looking "cool" and trying to figure out which alcoholic beverage your going to drink next. Please seperate the kids that want to learn and the ones who don't.

P.S. fafalone I think I see your point about 47% of students receiving an A average, something seems a bit odd about that, I had no idea there were so many smart people in America. You seem to hold the esteem that honer classes make you far superior to ordinary mortals, i dont know about where you live but in my school honers classes are bullshit. The honers teachers hand out A's just because honer students are expected to get them. Nothing special about them, except mabe the different grading scale, that makes it impossible for non honer students to compete with (are you listening Mr. President)

Originally posted by T_FLeX

Ok first time posting so here it goes, Mr. President, if that's really you, down here in Columbus Georgia schools are a joke. The regular classes are nothing but worksheets and crossword puzzles, and the honers classes are nothing but writing 2 page papers, which all the kids copy straight out of the book, learning nothing.

I agree totally, unless you get some privet tutor crap or go to a privet school you learn nothing!

fafalone: I do motivate myself to learn, but even though you might not believe me they don't want me to learn. I'm always getting my books taken up in class, even though I repeatedly tell my teachers I don't need the class to graduate, and to leave me the fuck alone, and that their class is bullshit, and that I would be happy to participate with the class if we learned anything of value (I'm stuck in an art and a drafting class this semester). If you were a teacher and a student didn't want to learn wouldn't ya just let him fail? It's his loss right? He's the one missing out on the education right? HAHHAA...it's an art class

Maybe if we made teaching a job worth having by paying them more money we would get more teachers applying therefore we would have better teachers.

Also we should build alot more schools, meaning we should at least have two schools back to back everywhere and reduce crowding in classrooms.

Education, the most important thing!

Originally posted by RED FIRE COW

Maybe if we made teaching a job worth having by paying them more money we would get more teachers applying therefore we would have better teachers.

Paying the teachers more money? I think there pay salary is fine, but there should be more money in schools. For computers, books etc.

You people are always complaining. Buy a TI-83plus or TI-86. Download some games and play those during class if you don't want to learn. Thats what I did, plus the calc helps you with high school math. It helps to the point were you don't need to learn shiznat, only use it to pass your math courses. If a teacher asks you what your doing, just tell them your programing some homework or note to the calc.

Game Sites:

http://www.ticalc.org/ ----best

http://www.calcgames.org/ ---good

Idiots are easy to manage. They'll do whatever their asked without question. If someone opposes them, they are too ignorant to respond intelligently. They just "stick to their guns," and piss you off with tedious repetitiveness.

Originally posted by fafalone

My exams will be specifically designed to filter out true geniuses from fools who study 24/7...

Hmmm...in my experience, the real fools are those who believe they know too much to have to study.

I think the really clever ones are those who realise that however clever they are, they still have to put the time in.