Photon

What is the electromagnetic spectrum and its relationship to Photons. Why do we normally think that photons are only found within the electromagentic frequencies of color?. Is it because the photons interact with those wavelengths and thus are able to bounce into our eyes or something?

In what ways to photons interact with frequencies outside of the color spectrum?

What materials interact with alpha, beta, and gamma radiation?

What materials can be excited by radiation to emit light?

Is there a maximum saturation point of light within a space?

Edited by Zolar V

What is the electromagnetic spectrum and its relationship to Photons. Why do we normally think that photons are only found within the electromagentic frequencies of color?. Is it because the photons interact with those wavelengths and thus are able to bounce into our eyes or something?

In what ways to photons interact with frequencies outside of the color spectrum?

A photon is a discrete unit of light. Light is a wave, and thus always has a frequency/wavelength. The "electromagnetic spectrum" is just the range of these frequencies. There is no such thing as a photon without a frequency or outside the electromagnetic spectrum.

What materials interact with alpha, beta, and gamma radiation?

Pretty much anything, I would imagine, I guess depending on what you mean by "interact."

What materials can be excited by radiation to emit light?

Well, all matter emits light, at frequency dependent on temperature.

Is there a maximum saturation point of light within a space?

No.

A photon is a discrete unit of light. Light is a wave, and thus always has a frequency/wavelength. The "electromagnetic spectrum" is just the range of these frequencies. There is no such thing as a photon without a frequency or outside the electromagnetic spectrum.

Is there any sort of higher amount of photons emitted by a particular set of frequencies?

Pretty much anything, I would imagine, I guess depending on what you mean by "interact."

Well, for instance, a piece of paper does not interact with gamma radiation because the radiation passes through the paper with no interaction. So what i mean by this, is what types of substances interact with alpha, beta, and gamma radiation to excite the material and emitt photons?

Well, all matter emits light, at frequency dependent on temperature.

But which substances emitt large amounts of photons?

In other words, which types of substances when excited by various means, specifically gamma radiation, emit more photons than other substances?

No.

Then why don't we concentrate a given area with photons, then release them?

Is there any sort of higher amount of photons emitted by a particular set of frequencies?

The amount of photons emitted is based on its intensity and the frequency corresponds to its energy, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, for instance, a piece of paper does not interact with gamma radiation because the radiation passes through the paper with no interaction. So what i mean by this, is what types of substances interact with alpha, beta, and gamma radiation to excite the material and emitt photons?

Interaction is based on wavelength. If the wavelength is smaller than the separation of the atoms, it will barely interact, but the amount it interacts just decreases as the wavelength gets smaller in comparison to the material.

But which substances emitt large amounts of photons?

In other words, which types of substances when excited by various means, specifically gamma radiation, emit more photons than other substances?

Once again, though gamma radiation has much higher energies, since it is so much smaller than other EM radiation the chances of interaction is very small, usually causing insignificant results.

Then why don't we concentrate a given area with photons, then release them?

Photons are energy carriers, so you can concentrate them, but it's not like storing them for later use. There are devices that use light (lasers) to somewhat confine materials.

Here were some links I found: Laser Plasma Interactions Inertial_confinement_fusion