Sisyphus

Every few years or so, there is a coming End of The World that colorfully deranged quacks widely believe will come to pass. As anyone reading this is no doubt already aware, in the past few years there has been a lot of noise about the year 2012, apparently due to the date of the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar, though practically every apocolypse has now become associated with it as well. They even made a mainstream disaster movie about it! There has been so much noise, in fact, that it seems on the verge of a Quack Consensus. In fact, I haven't heard any End of the World predictions about any later dates.

So, my question is, once 2012 is in the past, when will the next End of the World be? Has anyone heard of any bet hedging (e.g., "if it doesn't happen in 2012, it will surely happen in 2018")? Any unusual celestial events in the following few years? Will there be specific predictions, again, immediately? Or will they be in the vague near future for a while?

What will the SFN Speculations section look like in the year 2013?

It souly depends on the evil in the world. If anything destroys the world it will be due to our ignorance or destructive nature. In 2006 it was predicted (I heard on the news) that the first terroist nuclear attack would happen close to the year 2013; this was before I heard about 2012 and before it hit the media. Obviously the speculation of 2012 was around for years before that, but it was never as big as it is now.

I think there is something mathmatical about 2012, I'm not sure what it is, but obviously it has meaning. The mayans were great time keepers, I'd like to know their reasoning for why '2012'. If the world doesn't end in 2012 then the next date will be which ever number is closest to it in the fibinachi sequence. 2060something or 2040something. I can't remember what number it was, I checked it out a few weeks back.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not like they didn't describe their beliefs artistically. They were able to decipher the beginning of time by using some mathmatical method, probably different to our own - so I assume finding the end goes hand in hand. It could be something to do with the Good/Evil cycle.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not like they didn't describe their beliefs artistically. They were able to decipher the beginning of time by using some mathmatical method, probably different to our own - so I assume finding the end goes hand in hand. It could be something to do with the Good/Evil cycle.

In this context, "finding the end" is a euphemism for getting bored of carving notches in stone.

I don't see the value in trying to explain the crackpot notion of a doomsday prophecy in terms of the even more crackpot notion of a "good/evil cycle".

Why do you treat our predecessors as total idiots. It's astounding; are you really that much better than everyone else?

Third time lucky, 'Good Night'.

I'm not saying that I am better than everyone else. I'm saying that you have clearly not researched one word of the Mayan calendar system.

However if you want to reduce this to ad hominem then I shall confidently propose that I am better than you at understanding this topic.

Every few years or so, there is a coming End of The World that colorfully deranged quacks widely believe will come to pass. As anyone reading this is no doubt already aware, in the past few years there has been a lot of noise about the year 2012, apparently due to the date of the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar, though practically every apocolypse has now become associated with it as well. They even made a mainstream disaster movie about it! There has been so much noise, in fact, that it seems on the verge of a Quack Consensus. In fact, I haven't heard any End of the World predictions about any later dates.

So, my question is, once 2012 is in the past, when will the next End of the World be? Has anyone heard of any bet hedging (e.g., "if it doesn't happen in 2012, it will surely happen in 2018")? Any unusual celestial events in the following few years? Will there be specific predictions, again, immediately? Or will they be in the vague near future for a while?

What will the SFN Speculations section look like in the year 2013?

I think the SFN speculations part of the forum will be comprised mostly of Princess Diana sightings. I dunno. I am just speculating.

I think the next end of the world will happen in 2024, since that is the latest that some forums can ban people without actually deleting them.

2029 (or 2036 after that passes), due to the asteroid 99942 Apophis passing close to Earth. This one for once won't be based on nonsense, just on exaggerating a very slim chance. Only, I somehow doubt that end-of-the-worlders will have the patience to wait two decades, so they'll probably find one within this decade first.

The truth of the matter is Earth will ne struck by a strong enough solar flare that will cause the planet to end up like Mars. THE GALACTIC ALIGNMENT IS THE CRUCIFIXTION OF THE PLANET ON THE GALACTIC PLANE. We have been saying it for the past 2000 years: IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, THE SUN, AND THE HOLY GHOST.

This itself represents the GALACTIC ALIGNMENT. It is the passing of our Sun's companion star: THE HOLY GHOST, And the alignment between THE FATHER or the galactic core. The center of the galaxy is like a vaccum pulling particles from the sun towards it, but as the companion star passes thru, gravity diminshes, thus making a massive sunspot. This is what we will see.

scan0002.jpg

This is what is going to happen. As you can see, in so many ways it resembles the Illuminati Symbol. WE HAVE KNOW ALL ALONG!

illuminati3bzo2.jpg

The passing of the brown dwarf star causes a difference in gravitational force of attraction, thus creating the massive sunspot.

This is what the sun will look like around 12/21/2012. It is the EYE OF GOD. The sun will have a massive sunspot, so massive that when it omits a solar flare, we can not avoid our fate.

This truly is the answer to the question: IS IT THE END? And it is. The Egyptian called it the Eye of Horus. The Mayans predicted it on their calendar. And even the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ forshadows our fate.

HOWEVER an even bigger question emerges: WERE WE WARNED?

Only, I somehow doubt that end-of-the-worlders will have the patience to wait two decades, so they'll probably find one within this decade first.

Please do try to keep up. ;) The next one is "Ocean Acidification", or a good bet is "Declining Fish Stocks" and we are all going to die/starve/fight horrible wars with one another. I'd keep an eye out for "Biodiversity crossing a tipping point leading to complete ecological collapse" as well.

I just think that we'll continue to see the pattern of "Wrath of Mother Earth" replacing the "Wrath of God". It will still conform to the standard pattern. "You have sinned and will be punished in the future for your sins. But if you grant me power and money I will save you." Chuck in a way to buy absolution as well and you've got a good chance.

The truth of the matter is Earth will ne struck by a strong enough solar flare that will cause the planet to end up like Mars. THE GALACTIC ALIGNMENT IS THE CRUCIFIXTION OF THE PLANET ON THE GALACTIC PLANE. We have been saying it for the past 2000 years: IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, THE SUN, AND THE HOLY GHOST.

This itself represents the GALACTIC ALIGNMENT. It is the passing of our Sun's companion star: THE HOLY GHOST, And the alignment between THE FATHER or the galactic core. The center of the galaxy is like a vaccum pulling particles from the sun towards it, but as the companion star passes thru, gravity diminshes, thus making a massive sunspot. This is what we will see.

scan0002.jpg

This is what is going to happen. As you can see, in so many ways it resembles the Illuminati Symbol. WE HAVE KNOW ALL ALONG!

illuminati3bzo2.jpg

The passing of the brown dwarf star causes a difference in gravitational force of attraction, thus creating the massive sunspot.

This is what the sun will look like around 12/21/2012. It is the EYE OF GOD. The sun will have a massive sunspot, so massive that when it omits a solar flare, we can not avoid our fate.

This truly is the answer to the question: IS IT THE END? And it is. The Egyptian called it the Eye of Horus. The Mayans predicted it on their calendar. And even the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ forshadows our fate.

HOWEVER an even bigger question emerges: WERE WE WARNED?

You'll find that the illuminati symbol pops up in a few religious books, especially the bible. You should read Genesis 1, treat it as algebra.

Perhaps the same force of destruction is responsible for creation. If Mars were in our same position/ alignment as we will be, maybe the solar flare could reignite it's core, magnetic field, and plate tectonics.

Perhaps the same force of destruction is responsible for creation. If Mars were in our same position/ alignment as we will be, maybe the solar flare could reignite it's core, magnetic field, and plate tectonics.

You are seriously missing something about the scale of this. It's much easier to kill living creatures than it is to melt a planet.

Okay.

I seriously can't tell if Yomamma and Kaplunk are serious or not.

But I find this thread amusing and I am just going to say that I am now convinced that the end of the world will take place in 2014, in February since that is when at least two of my friends' and mine's bank card will expire. I don't think it is an accident.

You are seriously missing something about the scale of this. It's much easier to kill living creatures than it is to melt a planet.

I don't really understand what that means, but if your saying that a solar flare is going to melt the planet, that's not what will happen. Based on research that will be discussed at the international workshop of seismo- electromagnetics held in India this November, the most likely situation will be worldwide volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. The worst case scenario would be the depletion of the magnetic field as well as a "blowout" of the Earth's core. Others that are attending this workshop have more extensive research on this topic. If it is possible, I will try to get footage of the discussion being held their.

Okay.

I seriously can't tell if Yomamma and Kaplunk are serious or not.

But I find this thread amusing and I am just going to say that I am now convinced that the end of the world will take place in 2014, in February since that is when at least two of my friends' and mine's bank card will expire. I don't think it is an accident.

Bank cards expire.

Galactic alignment.

Mona lisa smile as picture.

Hmmm? Trolling or?

Bank cards expire.

Galactic alignment.

Mona lisa smile as picture.

Hmmm? Trolling or?

I was making a bit of humour. Provocateur, much?

Anyway, unless someone else swoops in here and says that this is, indeed, a serious thread, I will take it as the light-hearted spirited fun that I think that it was meant to be.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I found an article that was just released a few days ago. The scientific community is begining to look at this seriously and notifying the public.

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

Thu, Aug 26 12:50 PM

Melbourne, Aug 26 (ANI): Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

Several US media outlets have reported that NASA was warning the massive flare this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid.

Despite its rebuttal, NASA's been watching out for this storm since 2006 and reports from the US this week claim the storms could hit on that most Hollywood of disaster dates - 2012.

Similar storms back in 1859 and 1921 caused worldwide chaos, wiping out telegraph wires on a massive scale. The 2012 storm has the potential to be even more disruptive.

"The general consensus among general astronomers (and certainly solar astronomers) is that this coming Solar maximum (2012 but possibly later into 2013) will be the most violent in 100 years," News.com.au quoted astronomy lecturer and columnist Dave Reneke as saying.

"A bold statement and one taken seriously by those it will affect most, namely airline companies, communications companies and anyone working with modern GPS systems.

"They can even trip circuit breakers and knock out orbiting satellites, as has already been done this year," added Reneke.

No one really knows what effect the 2012-2013 Solar Max will have on today's digital-reliant society.

Dr Richard Fisher, director of NASA's Heliophysics division, told Reneke the super storm would hit like "a bolt of lightning", causing catastrophic consequences for the world's health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

NASA said that a recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause "1 to 2 trillion dollars in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to 10 years for complete recovery".

The reason for the concern comes as the sun enters a phase known as Solar Cycle 24.

Most experts agree, although those who put the date of Solar Max in 2012 are getting the most press.

They claim satellites will be aged by 50 years, rendering GPS even more useless than ever, and the blast will have the equivalent energy of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

"We know it is coming but we don't know how bad it is going to be," Fisher told Reneke.

"Systems will just not work. The flares change the magnetic field on the Earth and it's rapid, just like a lightning bolt. That's the solar effect," he added.

The findings are published in the most recent issue of Australasian Science. (ANI)

ARTICLE: http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100826/981/tsc-massive-solar-storm-to-hit-earth-in_1.html

I also found this website of interest http://www.lunarplanner.com/HolyCross.html

Anyone still skeptical?

Please do try to keep up. ;) The next one is "Ocean Acidification", or a good bet is "Declining Fish Stocks" and we are all going to die/starve/fight horrible wars with one another. I'd keep an eye out for "Biodiversity crossing a tipping point leading to complete ecological collapse" as well.

I just think that we'll continue to see the pattern of "Wrath of Mother Earth" replacing the "Wrath of God". It will still conform to the standard pattern. "You have sinned and will be punished in the future for your sins. But if you grant me power and money I will save you." Chuck in a way to buy absolution as well and you've got a good chance.

Yesterday their was an article released in Science Daily about this topic.

Acidifying Oceans Spell Bleak Marine Biological Future 'by End of Century', Mediterranean Research Finds

ScienceDaily (Aug. 31, 2010) — A unique 'natural laboratory' in the Mediterranean Sea is revealing the effects of rising carbon dioxide levels on life in the oceans. The results show a bleak future for marine life as ocean acidity rises, and suggest that similar lowering of ocean pH levels may have been responsible for massive extinctions in the past.

The scientists, from the University of Plymouth and the University of Santa Catarina, Brazil, studied a single celled organisms called Foraminifera around volcanic carbon dioxide vents off Naples in Italy. The study, published in the September issue of the Journal of the Geological Society, found that increasing CO2 levels caused foram diversity to fall from 24 species to only 4.

'Previous studies have shown a reduction in diversity of 30%, but this is even bigger for forams', said Dr Jason Hall-Spencer, one of the study's co-authors. 'A tipping point occurs at mean pH 7.8. This is the pH level predicted for the end of this century'.

Rising carbon dioxide levels acidify the ocean, which has a particularly devastating effect on organisms that have calcium carbonate shells, like Foraminifera.

'Forams are well preserved in the fossil record, which is why we chose to study them', says Dr Hall-Spencer. 'We knew the results were likely to show a decline in foram diversity but we weren't expecting such a seismic shift'.

Forams record past events in the geological record -- in particular, the effect of the Palaeocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), a period of massive carbon release and rapid warming, 55 million years ago, accompanied by extinctions in marine life. It is also thought to have seen a period of ocean acidification.

'That was a period when massive changes in marine ecology happened' says Dr Hall-Spencer. 'Our natural laboratory provides a glimpse into the future of our oceans'.

'These are the first CO2 vents to be used to study ocean acidification. They allow us to observe how ecosystems react to changes in ocean acidity. We can see for our own eyes what increasing CO2 levels do to marine communities'.

'At a mean pH level of 7.8, calcified organisms begin to disappear, and non calcifying ones take over. We are headed towards that being the case in this century. The big concern for me is that unless we curb carbon emissions we risk mass extinctions, degrading coastal waters and encouraging outbreaks of toxic jellyfish and algae.'

Co-author Professor Malcolm Hart are presenting the research to the 2010 FORAMS meeting in Bonn on Friday 6 September. This weekend, Deborah Wall-Palmer will present the work being done at Plymouth on the last 250,000 years of ocean acidification at the International Palaeoceanography Conference in San Diego, being held on 29 August -- 3 September.

LINK: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100825093651.htm