Yoga, the ultimate science

Yoga is the ultimate science.

Not only can you do all those things that people are wondering about in some of the forum topics, like control your heart beat, regulate appetite, and control body temperature it can do so much more.

Rest assured it IS a science. You really need to look into it to find out about it, and I mean get some traditional information on it.

It is also the ultimate science of the mind and brain and the physical body combined with a truly yogic diet, as well as of life.

You may not want to hear about Me but I have done extensive study into the science of the mind and have reached its ultimate conclusion - Enlightenment - yet there is still MORE!!! There is always More, so you should never be done with your seeking.

This is not preaching, but rather I am using this forum for its set purpose to share with you truly scientific information.

When you look into the science of Religion, you will find it truly is amazing. I am not saying we should leave all other science behind, but we should see religion and modern science as part of the whole to lead humanity forward into its greater destiny.

It is necessary to have knowledge on yoga or it won't be work as it says in the 'Hatha Yoga Pradipika'. So look into it.

There is so much on yoga that I can not begin to explain, but I will say in simple terms that it aligns the body in its proper alignment (this is what it was designed to do (By God)) and opens up the energy system of the human constitution (You may have heard of the mind body connection), among other things. It has infinte benefits and can ultimately achieve the fullest potential for a human being. Peace.

Show how it follows the scientific method to make accurate predictions.

I am bored, so I am going to take a stab at this...

While the title of the thread is misleading ("ultimate" is a claim based upon a comparative value) there is some merit to yoga as a science for overall wellness.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/CM00004

I will respectfully follow the scientific method:

Does yoga increase range of motion?

(Takes yoga class for four weeks, twice a week)

I think yoga will increase my ROM.

I notice an increase ROM with my arms. I ask my classmates if they notice an increase ROM.

They say, "yes". We do comparisons from whence we started and how far we can twirl our arms around. There is a noticeable wider swing.

Yoga has proven to increase range of motion.

If you want to refute this claim, then take a yoga class.

(There are some obvious flaws within this argument, but hey! I am ready to take them on with no attachment to winning or losing.)

Sometimes it is fun just to explore, you know?

:D

Yes, though even if it fulfills a certain function, it does not become a science. I am not familiar with all the details, though many yoga tradition have a semi-mythical aspect to it, that do not have a physical correlation.

Of course, some are just a semi-empirical description of e.g. organs, whose function were not known. However, the insistence on relying on mystical tradition rather than trying it to put it on a physical basis disqualifies much of it as science.

Yes, though even if it fulfills a certain function, it does not become a science. I am not familiar with all the details, though many yoga tradition have a semi-mythical aspect to it, that do not have a physical correlation.

Of course, some are just a semi-empirical description of e.g. organs, whose function were not known. However, the insistence on relying on mystical tradition rather than trying it to put it on a physical basis disqualifies much of it as science.

True, the Op conflated the topic with mysticism and physiological benefits...the two are not mutually exclusive or predominantly inclusive.

I think that physiological functionality is indeed a science...the science of the body. Strip away the mysticism and it still leaves a conjoining force for overall bodily maintenance.

That is all that I am saying.

I think your problem is that the replies were more intelligent than the "question".

I put question in quotes because you didn't actually ask one.

Klaynos also didn't ask a question but he raised a valid point so I will rephrase it as a question.

Buddhaneo,

Can you show how yoga can make testable predictions and then be shown to get the right answer?

If not then it's not part of science, never mind the ultimate science.

OK, that's a question; dare you give an intelligent answer?

• 2 weeks later...