Ebay Safety

bloodhound

Hi ya. I want to bid for an item which looks authentic in the given picture.

except I am bit worried about the payment. He wants the winner to contact him with bank transfer details. How safe is that? How can i trust him that he WILL send me the item if i won. Do u think its a good idea. This is the first time i have tried to bid for something on ebay.

the only problem with sites such as ebay is that most people are genuine, but there are always those dodgy people who wanna nick your money, what some people do is they will buy stuff say, less than £50 [uk money]... but will not buy stuff for more than that, just in case.

read people's reviews on the guy, if he seems good, maybe he's only getting a good record so that he can make a lot of money outta someone.

see how much you really want, how much your saving by buying it online.

you can never know if someone is genuine, its really your choice, contact him, if he's obssesed with your details and your money, maybe theres something dodgy....

once again, the majority of people are safe, but as a famous saying goes: "why did it have to happen to me ?"

its seems that he has no feedback from buyers. must be the first time he sold something. and his feedback from sellers is quite weird. cos its all good. but then there is on some of them added on notes saying that it wasnt them who wrote the feedback it was the buyer who somehow managed to do it. dont get it.

well remember if i have an ebay account and i want to rip you off, i could still buy stuff from myself, and write myself a good report... or more likely is that i just sell stuff to anybody and then write my own reports [from a different user name, remember one person could in theory have more than one user account]

give him enough details to make a bank transfer, i dunno wot they are, go to your local bank and ask or ask sumone who would know, give him details for what you want, but not details which he could use to do something which you dont want.

again i dont know the kinda details you need to get access to someone's bank account and what details are needed for a bank transfer, so speak to someone who knows and give him the appropriate details if its safe.

its seems that he has no feedback from buyers. must be the first time he sold something. and his feedback from sellers is quite weird. cos its all good. but then there is on some of them added on notes saying that it wasnt them who wrote the feedback it was the buyer who somehow managed to do it. dont get it.

I would not bid then. Although if you already bid than I suppose it’s a legally binding contract. Bummer. Does he accept paypal?

Just out of curiosity what is his username?

Also, how much is the item worth?

He shouldn’t need any details but your shipping address. Ask him exactly what details he needs and exactly why he needs them.

good advice lance, and write a good feedback about the outcome so [if he/she is doing something bad/illegal] they can't do it again.

(although he'd probably just make a new user ID.

something else which is good to do over the internet is make yourself a new credit card or mini-bank account only store a tiny amount of money in there, and have a small limit, use this account for internet transactions, this means that were someone to steal your credit card number, [keylogger, spyware, over ebay] they cant get much money, and you'd notice it on your bill, so you could immediately cancel the card with less money loss than if it was your main credit card or account.

The phrase "if it's too good to be true..." keeps ringing in my ears when I buy from eBay. However, sometimes you can get some absolute bargins on there: I bought a Sony STR-DE585 (retails at about £250) for £60 on there - it was advertised as a display model and as coming without a remote and manual, but they sent me a new one anyway.

The major advantage of using a credit card for purchases over the internet is not the credit limit, but rather the insurance that you automatically get with it. If you go to your bank and say "this guy ripped me off, I want my money back" and can prove it, then you automatically get your money back and then the bank has to deal with it. When you use a debit card and you don't get what you want, you have to mess around with it yourself and it can spiral out for ages (if anyone remembers PA's "slammer" PS2 deal, you'll know what I mean).

yeah, but if a fraud person buys something with your credit card and runs off with the item, thats the item gone, your insurcance have to pay, and if it happens often, or with large sums of money, then they will charge you more.

well, im not a financial expert, but doesnt it vary, like [probably depends on the company] it starts at £X, then if you dont have any problems for a few years the price of insurance will go down, encouraging you to stay with the company, and the company think they are unlikely to need to pay, as you seem that kinda person, but if you have loads of things paid for under insurance, then they charge you more, otherwise they make too big a loss.

maybe it depends on the company.

POND? roflol

ok then, but some insurance which you pay for, such as insurance for household objects, can go up if it is lost and the insurance company has to pay for it... different companies, different objects, different contracts.

i thought you were from the US until looking at your location, still calling the puddle of water between the UK and US a pond was still funny!