What science books do you recommend?

Cap'n Refsmmat

On 1/5/2021 at 10:15 PM, beecee said:

Best science book I have read? By a long way, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes.  Not so much about the making of the bomb, as more a total history of late 19th, to 20th century Physics and Chemistry from Rhoentgen and Bequeral, to Curie and Mitner and through to Fermi, Bohr, Feynman and Einstein. Great read!!

His book, Dark Sun - The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, is also excellent, but is much more a historical story than a scientific one, not that the science is ignored. I notice that his earlier book won Rhodes the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction.

11 hours ago, Area54 said:

His book, Dark Sun - The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, is also excellent, but is much more a historical story than a scientific one, not that the science is ignored. I notice that his earlier book won Rhodes the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction.

Sadly I have not had the pleasure of reading his sequel, but just checked on some reviews, which have prompted me to obtain it.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Dark-Sun-Rhodes/dp/0684824140

extract:

A dark tale told with gripping intensity....Chilling and brilliant. [The] authoritative and riveting sequel to [the] Pulitzer Prize-winning saga The Making of the Atomic Bomb.-Marcia Bartusiak, The Washington Post Book World

Rhodes is a meticulous scholar, yet his tale is as riveting as any suspense thriller, replete with fascinating and bizarre characters, exotic locales, and a cliff-hanging plot. And all of it is true.-Paul Preuss, San Jose Mercury News

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Request for advice:  This is a book talk type thread.  Is there a similar thread for YouTube videos?  I'd like to see someone talking.  I've been stuck in with a covid lockdown too long and I want to see a person talking some science.  (I also have a burning desire to complain about one youtube video I recently watched - but that's another issue).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History - Stephen Jay Gould

Origin of Species - Darwin

Principles of Geology - Lyell

Elements - Euclid

Introduction to Arithmetic - Nicomachus

The Geometry - Descartes

Complete Archimedes

Treatise on Light - Huygens

Genetics and the Origin of Species - Dobzhansky

Analytical Theory of Heat - Fourier