What would you change about the new SFN?

I've noticed, nor do we have any reasonable expectation of understanding what we are supposed to have doen wrong when you say "Logical falisy" without explaining your judgement.

Scared of equality?

I don't think I've ever typed "logical falisy" in my life.

Regardless, what has prevented you from asking about logical fallacies, or Googling them to learn about them?

• 5 months later...

I would add in the ability to create mathematical symbols such as pi in the default editor without copying or pasting, to better support speculation, mathematics, theorization, and hypothesis creation.

On my machine, holding Alt and typing 227 on the numeric keypad gives the pi symbol. π

Here's a reference to many more symbols using the technique: Alt Code symbols on Laptop keyboard Go to their Home page for other systems.

• 1 year later...

I wish I could convince SFN to cut back on my yearly stipend, $150,000 dollars a year is too much to pay even me to hang around the place to give it style. $75,000 should be quite enough... Don't even think of cutting back on my cheese nips!!!

That $150K would be better spent hiring a pro comedian.

• 8 months later...

I didn't find how to insert pre-formatted text, or equivalently for my purposes, obtain a fixed-width font.
The equivalent of html <pre> </pre> tag, or to courier new.
It would be useful to align lists of numbers, for instance there at the end of the message:
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/?do=findComment&comment=1011042

Or is it already available somewhere? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Enthalpy said:

I didn't find how to insert pre-formatted text, or equivalently for my purposes, obtain a fixed-width font.
The equivalent of html <pre> </pre> tag, or to courier new.
It would be useful to align lists of numbers, for instance there at the end of the message:
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/?do=findComment&comment=1011042

Or is it already available somewhere? Thanks!

You want the Code button in the toolbar, represented as a pair of angle brackets <>. It looks like this:

foobar
  baz
  bin
sheep

You can select whether to have it syntax highlighted for a particular programming language, or just displayed plain.

On 02/07/2015 at 11:01 PM, Acme said:

On my machine, holding Alt and typing 227 on the numeric keypad gives the pi symbol. π

Here's a reference to many more symbols using the technique: Alt Code symbols on Laptop keyboard Go to their Home page for other systems.

What a good idea, +1,  shame it doesn't work on my PC.

However you have prompted me to look further.

Hold the windows key down and hit the letter R.Type charmap.exe into the runbox.

Choose your symbol(s)

Choose copy

Paste them in here.

Note you can also then select and increase font size, as I have done to 36 in the examples.

charmap1.jpg

Edited by studiot

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I'd like to put in the ability to see who downvoted your posts.

For the past few days, I've woken up in the morning to a string of downvotes of posts I made days or even weeks ago.

You could pm a mod to see if their is a vendetta going on by a single poster.

29 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

For the past few days, I've woken up in the morning to a string of downvotes of posts I made days or even weeks ago.

We've had discussions about this before. I'm of the opinion that members having that information could lead to issues, particularly with those prone to taking things personally. If you feel like someone is using the rep system to target you, please let staff know and we will investigate.

As for your particular situation, I don't really see too much of a case for an abuse of the system at the moment. You received a couple of -'ve rep points today, which I reversed, and a few the other day that another member countered. Otherwise, it's been fairly sporadic. 

3 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

Also, i would say if you have views that are way off-centre in terms of the general membership you can expect more. it doesn't make those people necessarily right, it's just their opinion. If you are firm and honest about your opinions take the flak. I kind of know what's going to rattle people but I still post because non-scientific discussions are often necessarily adversarial and emotive. I counter what are, I think, unjustified negatives as well. Don't attach too much weight to positive rep as they are often given for the most frivolous of reasons and I do too. 

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Also, i would say if you have views that are way off-centre in terms of the general membership you can expect more. it doesn't make those people necessarily right, it's just their opinion. If you are firm and honest about your opinions take the flak. I kind of know what's going to rattle people but I still post because non-scientific discussions are often necessarily adversarial and emotive. I counter what are, I think, unjustified negatives as well. Don't attach too much weight to positive rep as they are often given for the most frivolous of reasons and I do too. 

Ultimately I don't mind people downvoting my stuff.

I've said stupid stuff before, and I can definitely see why some got like 12 downvotes. But yeah.

4 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

We've had discussions about this before. I'm of the opinion that members having that information could lead to issues, particularly with those prone to taking things personally. If you feel like someone is using the rep system to target you, please let staff know and we will investigate.

As for your particular situation, I don't really see too much of a case for an abuse of the system at the moment. You received a couple of -'ve rep points today, which I reversed, and a few the other day that another member countered. Otherwise, it's been fairly sporadic. 

I see.

I was just about to say I received another 2 of them on the same posts, but that would be it reversing.

Alright then. Additionally, it could have been a case of confirmation bias on my point if it is fairly sporadic.

Edited by Raider5678

On 16.07.2010 at 3:02 AM, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

So. If you were in charge, what would you change about the new ScienceForums.Net?

I would do a weekly wrap up through a mailing list of the most interesting threads or maybe even posts. And maybe some fun polls which we could vote in weekly or monthly with fun, non material prizes for the users. 

36 minutes ago, koti said:

I would do a weekly wrap up through a mailing list of the most interesting threads or maybe even posts. And maybe some fun polls which we could vote in weekly or monthly with fun, non material prizes for the users. 

This could involve you in a debate as to whether bitcoin is material or non material.

:P

Edited by studiot

37 minutes ago, studiot said:

This could involve you in a debate as to whether bitcoin is material or non material.

:P

Very funny :P
Information is non physical but it's a hell of a currency. 

27 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Bitcoin is  made from the same material that the king's new clothes are made from.  :)

There is a very good chance that you are right :)