What would you change about the new SFN?

I don't know how feasible this is, but is it possible to provide some space for saved posts before they can be posted into the forum, I mean a button like 'drafts saved' which automatically saves the content of our posts while we are writing it, since members like me who don't have a power back up for my pc, its really annoying sometimes when I'll be writing some lengthy posts and suddenly the power goes off and there is no way of getting it back again and I have to re-group my thoughts to post it again, so a feature like that will be really helpful.

• 1 month later...

How can i find a very old thread of mine? My search under "my content" stops at 04th of January 2011 (one year ago), is there a way I can increase that?

Google: Michel123456 2010 site:www.scienceforums.net - change the year and add other search words to home in on your thread.

Google: Michel123456 2010 site:www.scienceforums.net - change the year and add other search words to home in on your thread.

Thanks.

I finally found my old thread by other ways but it was not trivial. It would be easier to extend the time lapse of the "my content" list.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever you send a message, it gives you a popup confirming that the message was sent. However, the popup looks like an error message (it's got a red circle). Every time I send a PM, I think for half a second that I've broken the site. I'd change that about the new sfn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Cap'n that's been a while

Q: why cant I see the number of a post when I am replying?

In reply mode, the topics summary doesn't show the avatars (not a big concern to me) but also erases the post number, making it difficult to reference post#?? of another poster in the thread.

Surprisingly, in Fast Reply mode there is no such omission.

• 1 month later...

I would like the "View new content" page to be automatically refreshed after each post. Sometimes when I'm spending time on my computer (For example playing poker) I keep the forum page active and have a quick look now and again to see what is happening and of interest. I rather suspect that some people at work do much the same with a minimised page! It's not a big deal - but it would add a little convenience.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I spent some time trying to find an addon or extension that would add this feature (since it seems like it would be popularly requested), but I can't seem to find one. There's just not an option to view all posts in a single topic, for some reason. I'll do a bit of digging.

If there was an alternate layout without buttons, signatures, avatars, member info, etc., then Michel could just copy/paste the threads. Some sort of "condensed view". It would also help people on slow connections, or people who don't want others to know what they're doing.

Edited by MonDie

• 1 month later...

So. If you were in charge, what would you change about the new ScienceForums.Net?

Dogma is a central pillar of this forum. Dogma is the enemy of Science. So the change I would make is to knock down that central pillar so Dogma is no longer a part of the forum.

Dogma is a central pillar of this forum. Dogma is the enemy of Science. So the change I would make is to knock down that central pillar so Dogma is no longer a part of the forum.

To knock down the Pillar of Dogma, you need to swing the mighty Hammer of Evidence. Sadly, too many people are unable to lift the weight.

What do you mean this isn't a democracy, swansont ?

I just painted a little Hitler mustache on your picture of Sean Connery !

The mods are not elected officials, and the membership does not get to vote on issues.

It's more like someone's house, and you can drop in for a visit and have a discussion. There are rules they wish you to follow, and are welcome if you can engage in civil discourse. If you show up (or become) drunk and disruptive you will be shown the door. If you try and peddle wares, want to give us a copy of the Watchtower (or equivalent) or are trying to siphon folks to a discussion down the street, or expose yourself, you will be booted off the porch.

You don't set the rules, the owners/caretakers of the house do. It's private property.

You leap from "not a democracy" straight to Godwin. Seriously? No middle ground? Do you expect a family (especially with 3 or more kids) to be a democracy? "Let's vote: who wants ice cream for dinner?" We generally don't have families run like that, so this like like Oprah — YOU are Hitler, and YOU are Hitler, and YOU are Hitler, and YOU are Hitler!

Bull. But that's an actual scientific discussion, and not so much support/comments. Go ahead and bring it up in its own thread and watch it be dismantled.

Completely understand, swansont.

It was meant more as a joke ( why does no-one get my sense of humor ? ).

I just like poking fun at Sean Connery. Like Will Farrel in the 'Jeopardy' skit on SNL.

It was meant more as a joke ( why does no-one get my sense of humor ? ).

Tone, intonation, and visual cues don't translate well through text, especially on a site like this where membership tends to be skewed toward precision and pedantry (myself included). That said, a sense of humor is mostly for ourselves anyway. If others happen to share it with us and have a quick chuckle, then good for them... happy I could help! If not though, no worries. Their loss. :)