What would you change about the new SFN?

In the search results (like View New Content), can the number of characters allowed/shown for thread titles be increased? You did this in the old version, and it was very helpful, but we're again experiencing truncated titles in the search results since the upgrade. Thx.

And, what about this one?

Hi. i experience a strange behaviour with my notifications. When I get 2 or more notifications, and when I go to have a look a one of these, automatically the counter goes back to zero (the little number next to my profile's name up right in the SFN banner). Why that?

Edited by michel123456

That's the way it's designed. Once you view the list, the number of unread notifications goes to zero. It still keeps the history of notifications, so you can go back and check ones you didn't get to check.

Apparently it's really hard to take a "someone quoted your post" notification and determine exactly when you view their reply.

Most courses here have three evenly spaced exams, then a final at the end of the semester. My courses seem to place their exams all during the same week.

I was joking about the use of "midterm" for exams that do not take place mid-term (and take place more than once). That always annoyed me when I was TA-ing in grad school, because all of the physics professors seemed to do it.

I have four midterm exams this week. It is on my to-do list for when I get time.

Good luck on your tests, but aren't there like 3 or 4 site admins to help with this site issues when one admin is busy with life? Why are you the only person holding down the fort?

• 2 weeks later...

In the search results (like View New Content), can the characters allowed for thread titles be increased? You did this in the old version, and it was very helpful, but we're again experiencing truncated titles in the search results since the upgrade. Thx.

Silence for 8 days... So I asked again:

And, what about this one?

I'm trying to figure out how to do that. At the least, I'll make the tooltip contain the full title instead of "View result".

Got a response, but then had another 7 days of silence...

Any luck with this?

Silence for 3 more days...

Hhheeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooo??!?? :unsure:

Then last response was that week the one active site Admin had exams.

So, I know it's only been more than a month since I originally brought this up, and I am merely being incredibly impatient waiting for such a short time... but I figured I could check-in. Will this be happening?

You might consider iNow that for most people in academic circles it is currently the beginning of a new semester, and SFN will for many of them be low down on the list of priorities.

Listen. I understand that. It only takes a few seconds, however, to reply to a post that this can/cannot be done, or that it will be another week... or two weeks... whatever. If Cap'n weren't posting elsewhere on the site, or hanging out in chat, I wouldn't think anything of it. However, he has been posting, and he has been active, but wasn't replying here... So I was bumping the thread simply to get a status.

It appears the data passed to the template is undocumented, but apparently _longTitle gives the right tooltip value...

Ah. Of course. That would have been my guess, too. So... Oh... Wait. I don't program in PHP. In laymen's terms, can you please describe how this addresses the issue?

Listen. I understand that. It only takes a few seconds, however, to reply to a post that this can/cannot be done, or that it will be another week... or two weeks... whatever. If Cap'n weren't posting elsewhere on the site, or hanging out in chat, I wouldn't think anything of it. However, he has been posting, and he has been active, but wasn't replying here... So I was bumping the thread simply to get a status.

When all I am doing is suggesting one of many possible explanations as to why your post might not be responded to on a time-scale that would necessarily make you happy, do not start your reply to me with the word "Listen".

And don't characterise yourself as "bumping the thread simply to get a status" when in fact you were being deliberately petulant.

Ah. Of course. That would have been my guess, too. So... Oh... Wait. I don't program in PHP. In laymen's terms, can you please describe how this addresses the issue?

It addresses the issue because it turns out that $data['_longTitle'] gives me the un-truncated version of the topic title, which is now used in tooltips in search listings.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just bumped up your positive vote limit by a large factor. I'm not sure about allowing more negative rep points; we'll have to see if that's something we really want. Lots of negative rep has caused problems in the past.

Ok, thankyou, I'll take the pos rep.

Okay, I just bumped up your positive vote limit by a large factor. I'm not sure about allowing more negative rep points; we'll have to see if that's something we really want. Lots of negative rep has caused problems in the past. [/Quote]

CR; Oh my, here we go again. On "Hypo", both you and Moon are members, I have accumulated 2,300 or so negative points somehow and have not posted in over a year, while a BANNED POSTER, has over 230,000 positive points, a little behind Moon with 347,857 positive points. Just went there to get these figures and they had one active member on line. Here you have three posters, to my knowledge all College Graduated professionals in some field, reasonably new but have negative ratings. They, since I've known them ALL elsewhere are not looking for "pen pals" but looking to discuss ISSUES, that interest them which is the only reason I bother posting anywhere.

If a person, is interested enough on an issue to read post, IMO they should also be interested enough to respond, either direction and the assumed reason for joining a forum, I would think. You all peaked in posting (by 2009 standards) without rep points.

Ok, thankyou, I'll take the pos rep.[/Quote]

Moon; How gracious of you, now anyone disagreeing with those who you also disagree with, will get additional positive points. Since it all leads to the same result, I kind of wonder what "large factor" means or if others (say the staff) might be granted more plus points as well....

We don't use the old vBulletin system of giving certain members more power to alter reputation points than others. In vBulletin it was easy for one member to be handing out dozens of points at once -- or thousands, if things got out of hand. Now, it's all one point for everyone.

Furthermore, your total reputation count does not display on each post. When viewing a discussion, you only see how each post fared, so every post is considered in isolation.