What would you change about the new SFN?

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Bitcoin is  made from the same material that the king's new clothes are made from.  :)

I have a piece of paper marked £5, with a government promise that if I take it to a bank I can exchange it for a piece of paper marked £5, with a government promise that if I take it to a bank I can exchange it for a piece of paper marked £5, with a government promise that if I take it to a bank I can exchange it for ....

At least it's not invisible.

On ‎10‎-‎2‎-‎2018 at 3:05 PM, Raider5678 said:

I'd like to put in the ability to see who downvoted your posts.

For the past few days, I've woken up in the morning to a string of downvotes of posts I made days or even weeks ago.

You are not alone. I got 3 downvotes on stuff I said 13 months ago.

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

I have always assumed that (up or down) votes on old posts are from new members who have been catching up on old threads.

This is basically the case here. Itoero, I will gladly go and fix it for you, but it will have to be tomorrow. One of the things I am coming to hate in this new software is the inability to click through directly to the post a rep point was given to. I just don’t have the patience to scroll through a 31 page thread on my phone. 

Somewhat related, do people prefer seeing the reputation of each post as a single cumulative number (as it is now), or the full break down of rep points a post was given (as it was about a week or two ago)? 

3 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Somewhat related, do people prefer seeing the reputation of each post as a single cumulative number (as it is now), or the full break down of rep points a post was given (as it was about a week or two ago)?

I like the current style - if only because it means undeserved negative votes can be hidden completely. And it is simpler. 

This is a bit of a stretch buut. 

It would be amazing to have Logical Fallacy buttons on each post that would only pop up as a marker if let's say 3 members voted on that fallacy.

Many times I recognized straw-man arguments and I often appeal to emotion. :( It would be awesome and fun to objectively mark posts like that.

d55000f7718086efe6a07ad84f46951f01db2e9e

What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

This is a bit of a stretch buut. 

It would be amazing to have Logical Fallacy buttons on each post that would only pop up as a marker if let's say 3 members voted on that fallacy.

Many times I recognized straw-man arguments and I often appeal to emotion. :( It would be awesome and fun to objectively mark posts like that.

d55000f7718086efe6a07ad84f46951f01db2e9e

They're always called out on this site and almost always ignored, I doubt your suggestion would make a difference but its fun watching them dig deeper. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

They're always called out on this site and almost always ignored, I doubt your suggestion would make a difference but its fun watching them dig deeper. :rolleyes:

True but on long threads it's hard to keep track of the BS so instead of 5 members writing 5 different messages asking for proof because the OP just requests the forum to disprove him (which very often happens), you could just mark this as burden of proof fallacy and the marker would appear for his post/posts. 

I just think it would be fun to see that.

• 1 month later...

When I click a link to a post from My Activity Stream, the post opens at the first page.I must then go and open manually the last page to find the continuation of the conversation.

So the question is: Is it possible to make the post open directly to the last page?

25 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

When I click a link to a post from My Activity Stream, the post opens at the first page.I must then go and open manually the last page to find the continuation of the conversation.

So the question is: Is it possible to make the post open directly to the last page?

If you click on the dot or star before the title of the thread, it takes you to the first unread post in the thread. Alternatively, you can click on the timestamp under the title and summary (e.e. "23 minutes ago") and that will take you to the last post.

30 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Would it be possible to have an edit history feature?

I was puzzled by this (thoughts of Stalin editing people out of photos) but then realised you want to see the edit history of posts, not change history!

• 3 weeks later...

It would be awesome if there would be a filter for each section that you are interested in the Topics section.

Or just to see where it was posted maybe without accessing it. Some of you will say that will be self evident from the title but that is not always the case.

I am suggesting this as (not to seem philistine) I don't have an interest in all sections on this forum and the ones I am interested in quickly disappear  from this section after being bumped down by let's say philosophy and religion topics.

image.png.e5cf4860c6ab658f8d6d173f812c4abf.png

Just to be clarify, I am suggesting a simple filter like in excel where I could tick off topics posted in certain sections.

15 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

It would be awesome if there would be a filter for each section that you are interested in the Topics section.

Or just to see where it was posted maybe without accessing it. Some of you will say that will be self evident from the title but that is not always the case.

I am suggesting this as (not to seem philistine) I don't have an interest in all sections on this forum and the ones I am interested in quickly disappear  from this section after being bumped down by let's say philosophy and religion topics.

image.png.e5cf4860c6ab658f8d6d173f812c4abf.png

Just to be clarify, I am suggesting a simple filter like in excel where I could tick off topics posted in certain sections.

Wouldn't it be better to create a new content stream with all the new postings in the forums you want to see as they occur? When you've done that you can bookmark the link to that page.

SFN3.PNG

Edited by StringJunky

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

Wouldn't it be better to create a new content stream with all the new postings in the forums you want to see as they occur? When you've done that you can bookmark the link to that page.

Hmm yes but I would have to log once every hour, then open the thread to make sure it's in the section I think it is then follow it. 

I still can't filter by section. I'll just come out and say it clear: It's totally my own problem but I get off-put when I see so many God discussions flaring up in the topics section.

The threads are popping up more that science topics. I really hope I am not offending anyone. I do not want to influence the occurrence or anything  related to philosophy and religion I am sure some people here are not interested in physics and it could be an eye sore for someone who came here to discuss religion to see all this inflation/expansion/CERN nonsense in the topic section :) ...

1 minute ago, Silvestru said:

Hmm yes but I would have to log once every hour, then open the thread to make sure it's in the section I think it is then follow it. 

I still can't filter by section. I'll just come out and say it clear: It's totally my own problem but I get off-put when I see so many God discussions flaring up in the topics section.

The threads are popping up more that science topics. I really hope I am not offending anyone. I do not want to influence the occurrence or anything  related to philosophy and religion I am sure some people here are not interested in physics and it could be an eye sore for someone who came here to discuss religion to see all this inflation/expansion/CERN nonsense in the topic section :) ...

I personally don't look in that box at all.

7 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I personally don't look in that box at all.

The box is empty. There used to be little bit of Hope but it has run out now.

11 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

I still can't filter by section.

I hadn't looked at trying to do this with the new forum. It is not as obvious as it used to be, but it is still there.

Under the Activity tab at the top of the page (this is on the desktop view; haven't tried it in the mobile view) click on My Activity Streams and select Create New Stream. You can then select they types of things you want to see (content, unread, etc). Under Content Types select Topics. A little gear icon and down arrow appears next to it. Click on that and you can choose which subfora you want to see in the feed.

Save this feed (give it a name first) and then you will see, by the name at the top, three little icons (Edit, Delete and Tick mark). The last sets this as the default feed and it will replace the default "Unread Items" at the top right of the page.

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

I hadn't looked at trying to do this with the new forum. It is not as obvious as it used to be, but it is still there.

Under the Activity tab (....)

Bless your heart.

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

Haha well that can't be true,  there are proven "new Concepts of Work and Energy" and proof that the "law of conservation of energy is the greatest mistake in physics."

Jokes aside, there has to be hope and you have to go on and do what you do as this is all we have.

We have to make work with what we have. :(

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

Apparently, it's worse than that: "the whole contents had escaped except for one thing that lay at the bottom – usually translated as Hope, though it could also have the pessimistic meaning of "deceptive expectation".[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box

Sorry. Back on topic now.

4 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

Bless your heart.

I really hope you are not from the Southern States ...

But you're welcome. (Thanks for prompting me to find how I could hide all that dreck as well.)

Edited by Strange

On 2/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, dimreepr said:

WRT logical fallacies, that's the way we want it to work, that you call them out in thread as weak (non)arguments and explain why, forcing the person who used it to either admit it's not good or move to a better argument. Much of the time this ends in a more tacit defeat but the point is made. 

If someone continues to use the fallacious logic after it's been called out, we have rule 2.4 to enforce the practice, so please Report those who keep it up. We assume people don't set out to form a bad argument, but once a fallacy is pointed out in a thread, only an unreasonable person would persist in its use.