Blue? Potassium chlorate/perchlorate?

budullewraagh

yesterday i decided to recover potassium chlorate/potassium perchlorate by adding match heads to boiling water, filtering out the recovered sulfur and cardboard and boiling off the water. well, i found that as i concentrated it, the mixture (that ended up as a solution/suspension of white powder) turned a certain light blue, as seen below. can anybody tell me what that blue is from?

unusual for match head not to have any color added???

but that aside, your formula must have been somewhat acidic in that case (again unusual for matches)

not only that, but I can see how you`de arrive that conclusion, Nickel being mostly green salts and Chromium being mostly yellor/orange, but a mix of the 2 wouldn`t make "Blue"

and again, Not only that, but the metals in the pan would have have gone in order of oxidation, Iron would have suffered the most, leaving the chrome and nickel alone (think displacement).

so no, none of it explains the BLUE color in anyway, other than the head dye or a previously contaminated/unwashed peice of apparatus :)

:)

as for filtering it out, no, I don`t think that`ll be possible, you may be able to crystalise the Chlorate and remove some of the larger ones manualy, as the crystals will be 100% pure and dye free, but other than that, you`re just going to have to live with it :(

I don't think the red stuff is phosphorous. If I'm correct, matches with red P in them haven't been produced for a looong time (because they kept igniting without warning on hot days, in people's pockets). So unless your matches are almost antique, the red is most likely something else than red phosphorous.

the white is the KClO3, it`s NOT very soluable, the red will be Dye also.

RP as mentioned is used on the SIDE of match boxes (safety matches), but in the plain friction ignition types Phosphorus Sesquisulfide is used IIRC. the stuff you have is Dye and Chlorate :)

So, let me get this straight:

1. Take off the match head stuff.

2. Boil it in a small amount of water until the sulfur and cardboard comes off.

3. Pour it through a coffee filter.

4. Boil it some more, until the potassium chlorate/perchlorate starts to form.

5. Dry the KClO3/O4 and make powder out of it.

That's all?

Yeah well, I think there wasn't a problem with the chlorate; the glass just couldn't handle the temperature. But now I have attempted it once again (this time with a kettle with some water in it and a glass jar in the water); I have a green (match dye) water solution with some small white crystals floating around and I'm going to try and purify it more tomorrow. Any way of proving it's potassium chlorate, such as a special flame characteristic when ignited?