First Threads

There seem to be a lot of SFN members who make one or two posts then disappear from the Forum. I humbly suggest that a first post be highlighted in red and that the person making the post be inundated with answers and welcomed to the forum.

Moreover, if someone makes only a handful of posts, they should be sent an automatic mail message to invite them to make some comment on the Forum.

In my opinion, a little bit of PR goes a long way to maintain the already high interest in such a superb Forum - my first port of call when I crank up my old computer and modem B)

Edited by jimmydasaint

I would think that at times the reason some members leave is because they are inundated with answers. I feel like at times new members sign up and make a post thinking they've discovered something new and amazing. They are then inundated with posts about how their idea is wrong or how it lacks evidence. It is not that errors and mistakes shouldn't be pointed out, but it should definitely be done in a way to not scare a new member off. There definitely should be a different tone with a new member, than a habitual crackpot troll.

As for the messaging system I think we have something similar already in place. If I remember right you get a notice saying something along the lines of, "It appears like you haven't posted in 30 days. Why don't you take a minute to answer a question or participate in a discussion.

I would think that at times the reason some members leave is because they are inundated with answers. I feel like at times new members sign up and make a post thinking they've discovered something new and amazing. They are then inundated with posts about how their idea is wrong or how it lacks evidence. It is not that errors and mistakes shouldn't be pointed out, but it should definitely be done in a way to not scare a new member off. There definitely should be a different tone with a new member, than a habitual crackpot troll.

As for the messaging system I think we have something similar already in place. If I remember right you get a notice saying something along the lines of, "It appears like you haven't posted in 30 days. Why don't you take a minute to answer a question or participate in a discussion.

I agree. When someone makes a speculation about science which is non-mainstream, they normally get shot down in flames, don't they? Maybe we need to be more compassionate as a Forum with people who have independently formulated their own theories.

I agree. When someone makes a speculation about science which is non-mainstream, they normally get shot down in flames, don't they? Maybe we need to be more compassionate as a Forum with people who have independently formulated their own theories.

Compassion is nice and all, but do you really think that this forum should embrace someone who makes unscientific claims? AND almost always presents no evidence? It is a forum about science, and following the rules of science is integral to this forum.

There are speculations that don't conflict with the knowledge we have about the universe today -- those threads are encouraged. But when someone makes unsubstantiated claims about devising an over unity energy device driven by unicorn farts and expects us all to hold hands and sing kumbaya to celebrate their genius, it just isn't going to happen.

Before this forum, or anyone who follows the scientific method, embraces a new idea, good evidence supporting the idea has to be presented.

I really think that a root cause for the average person misunderstanding this is the political correctness that is so abundant today. It is driven that we need to respect other races, and cultures, and religions, and etc. And, I'm not saying that we shouldn't. Hating a person just because they are a certain religion is inexcusable.

But, the same does not apply for one's ideas about how the universe works and science. Science does not respect every idea equally. Nor should it. Science is very biased toward the ideas that can be supported by objective unbiased clear-cut evidence. In this regard, science is almost the complete opposite of being "politically correct". I think that this is a shock to a great deal of people used to dealing with a society that is all-in-all conditioned to be accepting.

Jimmy - I think this is really just an issue of tone, not of content. It depends (with me personally, anyway) entirely on how the first time poster approaches it. Far too often we see people coming in here all cocky and self-assured, and even rather rude, and they deservedly get smacked down with the hammer of Thor... Er, I mean... with the verbal precision of intelligent and scientific thinkers.

You know the type... "Why don't scientists get their head's out of their asses and do blah blah blah..." Same thing when they barely comprehend the concept they claim to be replacing. "I have undoubtedly proven that I can create a perpetual motion machine using macaroni and cheese mixed with bubble gum tied into mobius shapes, and you scientists are all too scared to let go of your dogma and accept the truth of my idea."

Again... You know the type.

However, I think people are kind and helpful when the poster comes in with a certain tone. "Hey guys... I'm trying to learn more about this. I read somewhere recently that blah blah blah. I don't know much about this topic, but I do have a good imagination. I think... based on what I've read... that we should be able to do X, Y, or Z. It seems so obvious. What do you think?"

See the difference? The above post is one trying to learn, not trying to incite and not based on inflated ego alone. The above would encourage responses that inform them how to learn more... which point to some of the flaws and show them how to adjust the idea so it's more realistic. The above would encourage a more Socratic exchange and the poster would be more likely to ask new questions and fill new gaps in knowledge.

Again, my sense is that it's more about tone and approach than about content and topic. ... That is, with me anyway. I've been known to be a real ass from time to time. As a general rule, though, I save that for the more established members who have shown themselves intelligent, but are making non-intelligent points. Noobs are just that... They are new, and do deserve some extra patience and care (unless, of course, they are new and denying evolution of climate change... They deserve to be crushed and destroyed on sight ;) ).

I would think that at times the reason some members leave is because they are inundated with answers. I feel like at times new members sign up and make a post thinking they've discovered something new and amazing. They are then inundated with posts about how their idea is wrong or how it lacks evidence.[/Quote]

Welcome to the club, Bruce and Jimmy, but I've lost this battle on several Science forums.

Compassion is nice and all, but do you really think that this forum should embrace someone who makes unscientific claims? AND almost always presents no evidence? It is a forum about science, and following the rules of science is integral to this forum. [/Quote]

Yes Bignose, until it's clear the person is delusional in his/her approach. Not everyone bothering to register and offer threads or a response, knows or understands a particular forums sentiment. I've been around some now and believe I can word a thread that would get me banned on some forums and commended on others, and I talking Science Issues.

With all the experts around here, certainly a poster could be lead in any conversation to establish their authenticity and desire to learn. Can you imagine a class full of young students or even old guys and gals, with 10 teachers up there to respond to each question as authoritarian experts. It just doesn't work.

I have to soften this somewhat, because I noticed a great many changes in attitudes over the past few months and only hope in continues.

iNow; No, it's not always a tone/attitude of the new poster, in fact rarely is it. If there is/was a consistency in tone or attitude it's long time posters, whether staff or not, including myself. At some point, trying to answer the same questions over and over again, can get rather tiring and as you have said, if your having a bad day, your not going to be objective.

I think we need to revise and improve our pre-existing resources, like the So, you've got a new theory thread in the Speculations forum.[/Quote]

CR; I'll assume you didn't have any luck with the above, nor has a recently 3/2010, another Forum with "Beginner Science", or your Amateur Science here. The trouble is people don't realize their idea is amateur, speculative or questionable. They have an idea in Science, that in there mind it may be revolutionary, the more passion behind the thought, the more aggressive the post/thread or with the older folks, have no idea what is new in their mind in nothing new at all.

I still like the idea of a sub-topic under certain sub forums (Speculation/New Ideas), that most people have questions/ideas/hypothesis are related to, Physics by far the biggest (Astronomy), followed by Earth Science, Medical Science and Biology.

Instead of a horde of experts jumping on a new member, we can gently point them at the pinned topics and let them revise their work. [/Quote]

Your fortunate in having a number of experts, with a range of fields. The only problem is us casual posters are not experts but like most we have ideas in the Science fields, or we would never have got here, in the first place. If I could and feel many other still here would post under Physics, even as speculation where posting under speculations (trash can) and still catching flack, seems a little useless. Take this to the newer members and they just won't bother.