The Smartest Bird?

YT2095

I personaly think it`s the Crow (and not just because it my favorite Bird).

but does anyone actualy KNOW which one is?

I`ve read a lot of contoversy on the net about it, and reputable sources in conflict :(

any INFORMED ideas?

Crow/ravens also do that though,

"Quork-quork-quork! Oo-oo. Rap-rap-rap. Kek-kek-kek. Honk-honk! Ravens make lots of different sounds. Scientists have counted as many as 80 different sounds. Ravens can copy sounds too. One raven learned to imitate all the dogs in a neighborhood. They can also imitate other kinds of birds, the sound of falling water, human speech, motorcycles, and even the ringing of the bell on an ice cream truck. Copying sounds may not be a sign of smarts, but it sure makes ravens interesting to have around!"

taken from: http://accelerateu.org/assessments/Ela4/brainy_birds_by_cynthia_berger.htm

they do much more too :)

here: http://home.alltel.net/sammurdock/cm/corviary/success.html

does "smart" refers to the one who can mimic?

i think it refers to the cleverness.

although parrots, macaws can do good mimics i think crow is smarter than them.

i used to have a parrot but even after 3 months it didn't recognise me, when i go near it, it moves madly inside the cage as if i'm a new face for it. not only me,it shows the same reaction to everyone including even my mom who feeds it daily.so i set it free thinking that its of no use.

but taking case of crow. while feeding my dogs, a crow came nearby wating the dogs feeding.i gave it a piece of meat and since that day whenever that crow sees me it comes near me.

the wild crow recognised me in a day but the parrot didn't even in some months.

I've also seen crow attacking big bird of preys.isn't this a sign of smartness "attacking somebody stonger than oneself without getting hurt and getting rid of them "?

in the movies or stories, witch or wizard tames "crows" as they are smarter.

I've also seen crow attacking big bird of preys.isn't this a sign of smartness "attacking somebody stonger than oneself without getting hurt and getting rid of them "?

Under particular circumstance this phenomena may be observed amongst other birds too. Eg. Protecting offspring

Why doesn't shear size matter here ? Is it brain:body weight ratio or just simply the brain size ?

I must add that the crow for all its smartness is often fooled by the cuckoo.

there are some really cool India birds. No i dont live there, just a boring american, but i'm accumulating bits and pieces of knowledge about India during my study of Hinduism. The Hill Myna has incredible voice mimicking capabilities, much greater than that of a parrot, but their harder to keep captive. India also has the largest bird capable of flight, some type of crane i believe. (its not of unusual intelligence, just interesting enough to be worth mentioning)

I have two pet ducks, only had em for a couple of weeks. I dont know if they're smart but they do poop a lot.

I know of a bluebird that isn't very smart anymore. I was struck in the chest while riding down the street the other day by him. It left a nice, football (american) sized bruise on my chest. I stopped to see if the bird was alive, suffering or whatever. When I returned, the poor thing was hopping around, obviously disoriented from a 75+mph collision with an imovable object. When I approached it to see if It needed help, or atleast put down, it hopped up, and flew into a fence post.

Poor bird was having a bad day.

there are some really cool India birds. No i dont live there' date=' just a boring american, but i'm accumulating bits and pieces of knowledge about India during my study of Hinduism. The Hill Myna has incredible voice mimicking capabilities, much greater than that of a parrot, but their harder to keep captive. India also has the largest bird capable of flight, some type of crane i believe. (its not of unusual intelligence, just interesting enough to be worth mentioning)

I have two pet ducks, only had em for a couple of weeks. I dont know if they're smart but they do poop a lot.[/quote']

The hill myna as far as i know has not been officially spotted since the turn of the century. It was mostly hunted to extinction and traded for pets. As its habitat now remains only in very isolated regions, its exsistance is highly doubtfull.

Largest bird capable of flight ---- I am guessing the peacock. Its kinda scray when you are caught unaware by a flying peacock :))

Under particular circumstance this phenomena may be observed amongst other birds too. Eg. Protecting offspring

Why doesn't shear size matter here ? Is it brain:body weight ratio or just simply the brain size ?

I must add that the crow for all its smartness is often fooled by the cuckoo.

it's not abt protecting the offspring. but a kind of showing dominance .

comparing crow and kite(eagle)

according to my observation:-

kite is bigger has sharper beak and claws than crow

inspite of all the physical advantages, still the crow can drive away the big fellow, here the "cleverness' is reflected.i dont know brain comparison.

even the most intelligent human are fooled, crow is no exception.

the Sarus crane was the bird i was thinking about, its actually not the largest bird in the world (sorry i thought i read it was), but the largest in India.

http://magazine.naturecom.de/text/beo.html

This site says that currently the Hill Mynas main habitat is Sri Lanka, aren't there several species of Myna though? Are some of them still around in India?

I bet those peacocks are terrifying. I remember one chasing me around when i was little (they let them run free around the local zoo)

There are two common mynah species that you can observe absolutely anywhere in India, They are the common mynah and the bank mynah. One has a yellow colouring around the eyes and yellow legs on a dark brown body (common mynah), whilst the other is nearly identical except that its colour is orange and not yellow (bank mynah). They are often seen together as well. As for the hill mynah I am quite certain that it hasn't been spotted in India in the last century.

The Sarus crane (the name is kinda funny coz sarus in hindi means crane, so its more like the Crane Crane) is the largest bird in India. It is quite a large bird (I have had the pleasure of observing it in the wild). Another large bird found in the desert areas is the Indian Bustard, though sadly its quite an endangered one now.

Guest grubmaker

the New Caledonian crow (Corvus moneduloides) has been shown to possess the most advanced tool use of the crow family (assuming thats a fair indicator for intelligence). plenty of papers written about them. however, i do wonder about new zealands kia (as mentioned above). ive had encounters with these rascally alpine parrots (and heard many anecdotes on them) and their intelligence and adaptability is very clear to see. i would love to read some studies that assesses them.