I need to get a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM

Genecks

Somehow while moving parts from one computer to the other, I messed up my motherboard and/or CPU and/or RAM. I really don't know what happened. I think I ignorantly bent the motherboard and messed it up that way. Maybe I did fry some stuff.

Either way, I need to get a miniATX motherboard. I've been looking at a few, and there seem to be motherboards that support Intel CPUs and AMD CPUs.

What is good these days?

I read a lot about AMD being better than Intel if not a cheaper alternative to Intel. Also, there seem to be motherboards that can hold up to 16 GB of RAM. Should I be getting one of these?

The computer I build will be expected to be around for another 5 to 8 years. Maybe more, because I don't play games that much; and I barely ever have time to jack around on computer systems other than research, studying, business-related stuff, etc...

As far as I care, computers are already advanced enough. Sure, I'd love a computer that never crashes. That'd be great.

Personally, I'm thinking about getting a motherboard with an nVidia graphics chip in it. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or bad idea. But I know I want as many PCI express slots as I can.

I don't plan on spending more than $250 USD when I go into the store.

amd or intel generally does not matter to much for most people. the important thing to consider is, "how" you use your PC. ie, do you play games? do you render graphics?

then, look for reviews on amd and intel boards in your price range get the one with good reviews that you can afford.

-Nex6

Games are a real resource hog, so if you won't be playing those, that simplifies things. What kind of operating system do you want to use is the biggest question. If you are going to go with Windows 7, then you need to meet all of the latest requirements, which you might be able to do for $250. They have some good deals on motherboards at Azrock. I'm not sure what the ram requirements are for windows 7, probably a gig or two? and you probably need anything that is dual core, at least. again, not sure of the specifics but it will be easy to find out. when you move into ddr3, ram starts getting a little more pricey.

nvidia cards are good. you could probably make it by with the latest intel on-board graphics if you have enough ram (2 gigs? maybe 4 gigs if you do windows 7 and want the pleasant hd dvd experience. also depends on how much capacity is in the video card.

or if you are literate in linux (doesn't really matter with ubuntu that much), then you could just get a p4 chip for $30-40, an azrock board for 30-40, 2 gigs of ram for 80?,and a decent video card for 50 bucks, not needed if you go with intel on board. my intel onboard only has 192mb, and it plays movies decently, but only have a gig of ram at the moment.

I like the GIGABYTE 870A-UD3 Motherboard, the features including SATA 3, USB 3 and USB 3X Power. As it rated a excellent additions to the standard motherboard feature set. And I agree. I know a good place to look for motherboards if you want think link.

Hope this helped.

PM me.

Edited by TRSNZIREN1
Additional info

I am here at walmart and i just happened to run by this emachines EL1333g-01w with an amd athlon 64bit,2 gb ddr2, 320 gb hd, nvidia gforce 6150se, dvd, keyboard, speakers, windows 7, norton security, and multi-in-one digital media reader? for 318.00.