Your hair comes from your mother's father

-Demosthenes-

I'm pretty sure that male pattern baldness can be inherited from either one of your parents. I have heard the part about male pattern baldness only being passed down from your mother's side a dozen times, but I'm almost certain it's just a popular fallacy. Hair color, like eye color, has both recessive and dominant genes so I believe that at least some of the qualities of hair can be inherited from your father.

Since men go bald more often than women it may seem be a chromosomal thing, like sex linked genetic diseases. This is probably why people think it comes from the mothers side. But I would imagine that given such a large number of men go bald at some stage, then if it were simply a recessive gene on the X chromosome, many more women would too. So it must have more to do with different hormone levels in men and the cell responses to them.

I believe that woman inherit alopecia as well. The hairloss doesn't usually start until they are older and it usually just thins (although some do go bald too) as opposed to going bald. Male pattern baldness is a disease where your hair follicles are more sensitive to the hormone DHT. Woman don't have as much of a problem because they have alot less DHT (derivative of testosterone).

I heard that that your hair comes from you mother's father, is there any truth to that? (please say yes!)

I have only anecdotal evidence to support this, all the males on my fathers side went bald at very early ages some were entirely bald by 21 and started at about 17-18. this trait has been the same for several generations and effect all of them without fail, then I came along and broke the chain, my hair is very much the same as my grand fathers on my mothers side (alot longer and a little lighter in color, but hairline and texture the same).

so In support of your idea, I`de say that yes, it certainly CAN BE the case :)

• 4 weeks later...

The gene for baldness is sex linked (on the X chromosome) thus you can only get it from your mother since, if you are male, you dad gave you a Y instead.

So it comes from your mothers side. Since it is a recessive gene females can have baldness in old age (estogen protects this but after Menopause it goes away= old ladies can loose hair while young ones don't). So look at you mom if she is balding you are out of luck and look at your grandparents on your mother's side because you have one of their X's. Grandma could be a carrier (Xx)so don't count your chickens untill they don't go bald and grandpa could be (xY) but you could have grandma's good X.

it should be noted that environment can play a huge role in it. Wearing hats doesn't help, having a gut doesn't help (hormones released will make you loose hair quicker), also STRESS is a huge factor (first hand knowledge)

Sorry about the mis information. I guess I fell victum to my science teacher's propagand in order to learn Mendellian Genetics. Upon further review I conceed that it is a much more complex trait. If anyone is interested here is an article on it

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6WM8-4CTCJD0-G-1&_cdi=6928&_orig=search&_coverDate=07%2F31%2F2004&_qd=1&_sk=999489998.8998&view=c&wchp=dGLbVlz-zSkzV&_acct=C000006878&_version=1&_userid=86629&md5=587f20ea033db2d714722b75a56525bc&ie=f.pdf

• 4 months later...

Just a quick comment. Frostrunner, the article you provided was on alopecia. If I'm not mistaken, alopecia is different than what is considered "normal" male pattern baldness, am I not?

Although I have heard only quips and small tidbits of info, I think I agree with your first post, that baldness is in fact inherited from your mother's side.