Lightspeed "barrier"

Flak

The local coordinate velcoity of a photon always has a length of c in general relativty, this is simply a result of the postulates of GR. The Oppenheimer limit or the Chandrasekhar limit offere no insights into how black holes 'work' (infact the original limit did not take into account general relativity).

FIRST: I`m not talking about Oppenheimer limit.

SECOND: I didnt say that Chandrasekhar limit explains how BH works

THIRD: Chandrasekhar limit, states the posibility of a formation of a BH if overpassed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chandrasekhar limit says nothing about black holes, I've said it before! Infact orginally the Chandrasekhar limit did not even consider relativstic effects and the black hole comes entirely from the genral theory of relativity.

You are uneducated on Chandrasekhar limit theory.

Go and check a book about. Or wait later I will post info about.

You arn't going to win this Flak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit

The Chandrasekhar limit is the maximum mass of a white dwarf, and is approximately 3 × 1030 kg, around 1.44 times the mass of the Sun. The limit was first calculated by and thus named after the Indian physicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.

So did they get light to go faster than c in that experiment? The way I read it it seemed like the speed difference was because one wavelenght of the light was slowed by the material it was passing through and the other wavelenght was able to travel through it more quickly. Unless I read it totally wrong.

<Sigh>

Once again, I will point out that this is just anomalous dispersion. No violation of causality or special relativity occurred. The waves of the various frequencies that made up the wave packet were resorted, so that the peak shifted. The beam was reshaped.

It's sleight-of-hand. A physics parlor trick. The peak came out earlier than it was supposed to, and the flowers are still standing.

It's more bad journalism than anything else - the notion that "nothing can exceed c" is relativity oversimplified to the point that it's wrong.

I think that some people here need to check better what I DID WROTE.

Chandrasekhar, on his theory, realised that if an WD go over the limit it can became a null or collapse to infinite. Some people around the world didnt like the idea, even Einstein wrote a note about. His mate (I dont remember his name) suggest him to left that line of investigation and go over the studie of star movements.

LATER, Oppenheimer continue his work about that WHAT IF, and there where it comes THE THEORY THAT AN BLACK HOLE DONT LET THE LIGHT TO ESCAPE.

It was a comment and someone started to "challenge" me, because he didnt have anything more important to talk about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, interesting link.

I think that some people here need to check better what I DID WROTE.

Chandrasekhar' date=' on his theory, realised that if an WD go over the limit it can became a null or collapse to infinite. Some people around the world didnt like the idea, even Einstein wrote a note about. His mate (I dont remember his name) suggest him to left that line of investigation and go over the studie of star movements.

LATER, Oppenheimer continue his work about that WHAT IF, and there where it comes THE THEORY THAT AN BLACK HOLE DONT LET THE LIGHT TO ESCAPE.

It was a comment and someone started to "challenge" me, because he didnt have anything more important to talk about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, interesting link.[/quote']

People are challenging you because you are not backing up the things you say.

You said that you thought a photon going into a black hole could go faster than light. Explain.

...An interesting note: when light got absorved by a black hole it got invisible' date=' the explanation is that the black hole dont let the light to go out. However if this is true there should be a manifestaion of light before get into the hole, some kind of "funnel".

Personally, due of strongs gravitational forces on the black hole, the photons near it got attracted at speeds higher than the lightspeed, for that it got invisible...[/quote']

My explanation on a thread before.

My explanation on a thread before.

That is not an explanation. It is nothing. It is you saying that you think photons can go faster than c. You provide no evidence, nor compelling ideas to back this up. Nobody has any reason to give this a second thought.

• 1 month later...
What if the light barrier is just that, a physical wall that cannot be penetrated? An unbreakable membrane stretched to its farthest limit. To go any faster requires puncturing it. Or maybe this is just a stupid analogy.

Yup. It is a barrier because it would require infinite amounts of energy to accelerate to c. It would be a pretty strange physical wall, one that is all pervasive and not normally detectable.