Favourite swansontisms

ydoaPs

swansont seems to have a penchant for awesome quotes, so I think we should have a thread of swansontisms. Here are some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

One of the functions of science is to limit the scope of uncertainty contained in "for all we know," and its utility includes neither argument from incredulity nor argument from ignorance.

Moving at 1/35 c with respect to what? Without defining a reference, it's like asking, "What the difference between a duck?"

I have never understood the phenomenon of wearing one's ignorance as a badge of honor.

Civil discourse does not extend all the way to walking on eggshells to accommodate fragile egos.

Got any more?

"Swanson, Tom Swanson. Swoon before my high tech wristwatch that shoots a violent cascade of neutrinos that will go right through you. Literally."

Before my bobblehead gets too swelled I have to point out that I don't wear a wristwatch, though I do carry one in my pocket. It's a $20 Casio. However, any neutrinos it shoots will indeed go right through you.

But by all means, carry on.

Before my bobblehead gets too swelled I have to point out that I don't wear a wristwatch, though I do carry one in my pocket. It's a $20 Casio. However, any neutrinos it shoots will indeed go right through you.

But by all means, carry on.

"Swanson, Tom Swanson. Swoon before my oscillating crystals."

Right?

• 2 weeks later...
The phrasing "just a theory" should make one's word processor explode. IMO.

Bald assertion doesn't go over too well, and it's especially loathsome when it's blatantly wrong. We like evidence.

Try and differentiate yourself from the ELIZA program that ran on my Commodore PET 25 years ago. Please. You're passing the Turing test in the wrong way.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes' date='" not "evidence."[/quote']

I almost forgot this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We should compile these into a book. :D

stating one's ignorance coupled with a declaration that, in effect, one doesn't want to be taught or contradicted — on a frikkin' science forum — is asshattery of the first order.

One of the first things you have to get used to in science is that many of the thoughts you have will be wrong.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

It frustrates me that I can't convey how I know that you are wrong in a way that you will understand, because you have already convinced yourself that you're right, and wear your obstinate contrariness like a badge of honor. But the view from inside science is incredible, and there's nothing (except for you) keeping you from learning actual science.