Acids vs. wooden furniture

Gilded

Hello,

I was wondering what sort of acid would be sufficient for going through, let's say, a pine table when you pour like a deciliter on the table? That's an experiment I've always wanted to do, but it seems that a heavily diluted solution of hydrochloric acid just isn't enough. :)

I wonder if concentrated sulfuric acid is enough? Or perhaps nitric acid?

conc Sulphuric will work, as well as make alot of heat.

Chloric or Perchloric will also destroy it, more so than most other acids!

you could make a nitrating mix, let is soak in and react, then dry. drop a lit match on it and Whooosh, instant hole :)

may I ask WHY you`de want to do this to pine funiture?

a sack full of termites will do the same (if you`re in no hurry) :P

20oz coke bottle...tin foil, 2 oz muriatic acid....much cooler experiment..:)

BOOM stand clear though, acid is not good to get on your skin. :)

muriatic, last i checked, can be found at home depot, 6 bucks for 2 gallons...pretty cheap.

Mmm... Permanganic acid sounds great. Gotta find myself a car battery first... and some KMnO4, too.

And to YT2095: Why? Well, there are just too many wooden chairs and tables lying about; got to do something with them. :) And for the termites, I've always wanted to see some termites in action but sadly there are no termites in Finland, not even roaches or other fun creatures. You UK/other guys should be happy for your nice, furniture/food destroying insects.

Edit: Oh, forgot to ask: I should probably powder the KMnO4 and work in a well ventilated area. Any other safety precautions?