Why are you voting for Kerry?

blike

Did you feel this way 5 years ago? I'd really like an honest answer from all the non-US folks here.

The cold war is over, and America is still fighting. As there is only one person left in the superpower race, most people will look at it as an oppressive regime. The venomous outbursts, violent reactions and military occupation of other countries certainly put the US in the role of the bad guy. Unfortunately for the US there is no other major force for people to hate, and people will always hate something. The ‘war of terror’ did not provide an adequate enemy for the US to fight, so they are depicted as oppressors rather than the crusaders the government wished to be.

Sorry, but the popular current view of the US is a comparison to the Roman Empire. The comparison shows that the US is, without it’s enemies to fight, in its decline. It wasn’t war that destroyed Rome, but peace. The comparison of attituides could be made with the old British Empire as well, I suppose.

It's not a view of the American public; it's a view of the country. If it were a view of the general public, the Hollywood films/TV etc would be doing very badly outside of the US. The American public is very much part of the international consciousness, a bit like a younger cousin we see every so often.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as people hate us they still buy all the crap we sell them. I think hateing america and hateing bush is the just the trendy thing to do now. I see more people who hate bush and protest the war for no other reason than to hate someone and protest something. Trying to be hip by being synical (sp?) yet they have no real reasons of their own for their opinions, just what they have heard famous people say. How many people in this thread had a 'he's not bush' reason for voting for kerry.

Personally i dont like i bush because i cant stand to listen to him talk, he just sounds so dumb. I dont like that he's owned by corporate america and i dont like his stand on scientific research. Also, i dont like kerry because i have no idea what he stands for since he cant seem to give a straight answer on anything.

And whoever said anything about a draft must not know anything about modern warfare. If you would like a further explaination, ask, but unlike vietnam and the world wars, today's fights do not require millions of soldiers running around. Our military is fully capable of doing whatever we need it to do without reinsituting a draft.

Nathan

I think hateing america and hateing bush is the just the trendy thing to do now.
Trendy?! Is it trendy to want the president to stick by what he says he'll do? He was elected because he was a moderate cantidate, in his own words, and he's been anything but moderate. He says he's for education and then underfunds his own bills. He says he's for cleaner air and healthy forests and then destroys 50 years worth of legislation that has protected us from heavy over-industrialization. He pays no attention to advisors in areas in which he's weak. He stressed the need for America to act like a "humble nation" in foreign policy and then starts a war in Iraq that ws pointless. Afghanistan was retaliation, but Iraq is just pure greed.

Now that he has committed us to the war in Iraq, we have far fewer choices in our future course of action. This is the oldest trick in the book. Unscrupulous plumbers and electricians use it like this: "Should be a piece of cake, Mr Jones, I'll rewire your whole house for $1000." A month later you hear, "Gosh Mr Jones, I don't know what the original installer was thinking, he really screwed things up badly. I had no idea it was this bad, how could I before I started? Its going to be another $5000 to get it right." By then he's got your house all torn up and it would cost you even more to fire him and bring in someone new.

And the bastard knows that. It's what he's counting on.

Also, i dont like kerry because i have no idea what he stands for since he cant seem to give a straight answer on anything.
You should actually do some research on Kerry rather than just listening to the TV sound bytes politicians are forced to rely on theses days. Kerry has an energetic stand on new technology, medical research, economy and national security. I think all major party cantidates these days are in someone's pockets because they rely on heavy contributions to reach out to Americans who treat voting like some sort of football pool, but Kerry doesn't back the oil barons and I think they have had their time at the banquet table.

Let's move on, people.

name one president that did everyone he said he was going to do. You cant believe anything a candidate says, all you can do is look at their voting record and because thats a better indicator of how they will act in position. And yes, in this case, it is trendy...no body was down on bush after 9/11...how have his policies changed since then to make people hate him so much? Few anti-wat celebs made a few comments that arent worth the wieght in air it took them to say and then people started flocking to that. I didnt like him before 9/11 and i still dont, though i think he handled the event as well as anyone could have.

As for kerry, he talks about how he's opposed to to war yet he said that if he had been in the president's shoes he would have done the same thing...

You can say what you wanta bout iraq, i dont know what i feel about it but i would rather have terrorists killing soldiers over there and civilians over here...the militaries job anyway, to protect the civies.

Nathan

And whoever said anything about a draft must not know anything about modern warfare. If you would like a further explaination, ask, but unlike vietnam and the world wars, today's fights do not require millions of soldiers running around. Our military is fully capable of doing whatever we need it to do without reinsituting a draft.
Concerning the draft, when it was put into order in the '60s the miliary was different. It's really more of a Career now, to be in the military. That means it's someones job to be a soldier and they chose to, the draft won't be established again. Many of those who are against the war are only against it becasue they think there might be a draft and it scares them.

i think that it's weak even with the attacks. one could make the claim that he is at fault for what happened considering he ignored clinton's warnings, did not meet with advisors every day (or any day) like clinton did and took more vacation off in his first 8 months than any president had prior (yes, more than franklin delano roosevelt who served for 16 years).

We should all probably try to be a little "sane" and try to think of an inteligent way to say things instead of blindly insulting people for no apparent reason, ;).
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could list twenty lies that Bush and his cabinet have used to mislead this country into deficit, decline and war, and that you would find some justification for each one, and blow them off like they're unimportant.

THIS is what galls so many of us here, that some of you, our fellow Science Forums members, really smart folks all of you, think that Bush is a good president. You read threads from people all over the world about a variety of weighty subjects, but just because Bush talks like a junior high dropout you seem to think it's OK for him to not read a whole memo about national security.

PLEASE don't talk to me about intelligent ways to say things!

We should all probably try to be a little "sane" and try to think of an inteligent way to say things instead of blindly insulting people for no apparent reason, .

that wasn't blind at all. bush is authoritarian (actually he imposed legislation that makes it essentially legal to be a facist (as he can arrest anybody)). in doing this, he ignored the constitution. and as for the other two adjectives, i think we can univerally agree that he is "conservative" and a "fool"

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could list twenty lies that Bush and his cabinet have used to mislead this country into deficit' date=' decline and war, and that [b']you[/b] would find some justification for each one, and blow them off like they're unimportant.

THIS is what galls so many of us here, that some of you, our fellow Science Forums members, really smart folks all of you, think that Bush is a good president. You read threads from people all over the world about a variety of weighty subjects, but just because Bush talks like a junior high dropout you seem to think it's OK for him to not read a whole memo about national security.

PLEASE don't talk to me about intelligent ways to say things!

Nicely said. I think some people need to look at what they've written, and then look at what is actually happening in the world today and compare the two.

I heard Kerry gets voted for president, we'll have a bad future. :(
I took a look at Nature Geeks. Very impressive undertaking. I wish you well at your website, you've done a great job!

Since you are a proponent of environmental issues, how do you feel about the Bush administration's policy on drilling in the Arctic Refuge? And doctoring reports on its impact in Alaska? And threatening Fish and Wildlife employees with suspension or worse for voicing their opinions on its devastating effects to these fragile habitats?

How do you feel about cutting the budget for things like prevention of toxic chemicals in the environment? My favorite is limiting public access to information on how safe our drinking water is for reasons of national security. Oh, terrorism just provides so many benefits to polluters and warmongers!

I for one would like to see our dependence on oil and other fossil fuels as energy sources decreased as quickly as possible. Kerry proposes more research into renewable energy and areas that give us hope instead of swindling, sorry, dwindling deadlines.