Oxidize H2SO3??

maxenzo2

I guys,im new here,im just here to ask one thing,can H2SO3 solution be oxidized by O2 from water electrolysis(or other form of making oxygen),to create H2SO4? I know it works with ozone,but im not sure of using O2.Well i like to discuss chemistry(but i dont like to mess with chemicals because i dont have the proper materials,or a secure place to make it).

If nobody have done that before,can somebody,with the appropriate equipment and security try it?

Please if some of you try let me know if it worked.

Edited by maxenzo2
add more info

Sulfurous acid and in fact many oxidation reactions using dioxygen can be catalyzed using nitrogen containing carbons with high surface areas (powered activated carbons). Anthralur, generally made from Peat and carbon black I think is a good one to try. Without the catalyst, the reaction still occurs but very very slowly. Perhaps this will get you started.

Mix up some H2SO3 in deionized water perhaps using SO2. Add some platinum or gold electrodes to measure conductivity and then add the Anthralur. Next bubble in some O2 and measure the increase in conductivity as an indication of the progress of the reaction. If you wish to be exact you can use conductivity to tritate the reactant and product solutions.