Obsessions

Guest Alana_Valand

Guest Alana_Valand

I have a question. Ive heard of people who have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder clean everything and get out of their way to clean and prevent any germs touching their body and always wash their hands, sometimes they put sheets all over their house and wear gloves and protective clothing and cant touch anything untill after they have clean it thuroughly and changed gloves before using it. My question is - WHY is that? Is it that they feel the germs or what?

People with OCD are not just obsessive about germs. OCD is simply when a worry or thought about something obsesses someone and takes over their life. While germs are are one of the things that can be obsessed over there are other common things people with OCD can obsess over. But OCD is also when the obsession is accompanied by a compulsion. One who obsesses over germs would then likely have the compulsion to wash their hands too much, or do some of the other things you mentioned.

OCD is thought to result from a chemical imbalance in the brain. It has many similarities to generalized anxiety disorder and it is often treated with the same medications. The most commonly prescribed medications are serotonin re-uptake inhibitors such as Prozac, Zoloft, or Paxil. These medications work by increasing the amount of active serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is associated with a calm and relaxed state. The fact that these medications do work is evidence that there is a chemical imbalance, probably involving serotonin.

My own personal opinion is that OCD, anxiety disorder, and panic disorder all result from a similar cause. I think these disorders result from a neurotransmitter ratio imbalance where the neurotransmitters that cause a heightened state of nervousness are increased while the neurotransmitters that cause a relaxed state are decreased. The amount of active neurotransmitters varies naturally with a persons emotions, diet, environment, stress, etc. A particularly traumatic event or stressful period is often associated with the start of these disorders. In a normal person a stressful period will result in a chemical change that will correct itself after the stressful period has passed or they adjust. In the case of these disorders this chemical change does not correct itself and the sufferers are left in a perpetually nervous state. There are certain genetic predispositions to these disorders.

I think that OCD is just another form of anxiety disorder resulting from a perpetually nervous state caused by a chemical imbalance. I think it just expresses itself in different way in the case of OCD. Also, it could be that OCD is caused by a slight difference in the kind of chemical imbalance. It might also be that the person’s personality effects whether their chemical imbalance expresses itself as Panic Disorder or OCD

A recent study showed that people who are in love exhibt the same symptoms as people with OCD, i'll have a dig around for a link and see if I can find anything(although my source was more tangible, i think it was a book/journal(remember them:-)))

Just to clarify though OCD and Panic disorder may both be the result of chemical imalances but they are starkly different mental malfunctions.

Guest Drusilla
A recent study showed that people who are in love exhibt the same symptoms as people with OCD' date=' i'll have a dig around for a link and see if I can find anything(although my source was more tangible, i think it was a book/journal(remember them:-)))

.[/quote'] Oh that is interesting, if you could remember the name I could maybe find it at the college library I would really like to read that study.