Chassis calculations ???

Ajit

I have to modify few structures of a bike and i am confused as to how to classify the loads and what theory to refer for this calculations, wheather to go with impact loading or gradual loading for the purpose.

specifically i am replacing the engine with heavy drive system.

I would assume more of an impact loading since most loads on the bike would be short stronger loads. If you have access to any FEA programs that would be ideal. What I would do is maybe some research on what the typical loads on a bike of your size would be at the front and rear and then give a Factor of Safety of at least 2, if you are worried about it.

I would assume more of an impact loading since most loads on the bike would be short stronger loads. If you have access to any FEA programs that would be ideal. What I would do is maybe some research on what the typical loads on a bike of your size would be at the front and rear and then give a Factor of Safety of at least 2, if you are worried about it.

Apologies but wouldn't it be exactly the opposite being that this is what I assume to be a street bike(deduced from the fact that he is adding a heavy drive system?) I mean if he is just driving on the road the more strenuous loads will be incurred during acceleration and deceleration. During these periods a frame would not undergo sheering stress.... If there is concern as to whether or not the bike will maintain some level of stability during a full on collision IMHO if you are putting a 1350cc DOHC rocket on a 350cc 4 Stroke SOHC stock bike it's probably not safe???? Just curious as to the logic here....

• 2 weeks later...

I got an assignment a little bit same with your problem (which is the load). Your calculation mostly will be head for statics analysis. After you get the exact value, then you can doing the other analysis (e.g : dynamics, strength etc etc).