IUPAC name for following alkane? (picture inside)

nuvydeep

Thank you! I wasad kind of close..this may seem like a stupid question but what do the S represent?

You need to basically indicate whether the groups are pointing out or into the page. Therefore, you need to use R (clockwise) or S (counterclockwise) to label the chiral centers.

• 4 weeks later...

Well you've got a five membered ring so you have cyclopentane. The substituents are isopropyl and ethyl (of which the isopropyl is higher prioritry).

So itl be 1-(S)-isopropyl - 3-(S)-ehtyl cyclopentante

Why have you chosen isopropyl as the highest priority? According to my textbook, substituents of arenes are prioritised alphabetically (lower first). Or am I missing something else?

Why have you chosen isopropyl as the highest priority? According to my textbook, substituents of arenes are prioritised alphabetically (lower first). Or am I missing something else?

You are right that for arenes you name them alphabetically. But this example is not an arene. An arene is a aromatic system with a delocalised pi system in it (like benzene). In this case you simpley have a 5-membered cycle so you order them accordinging to which has the highest priority.

P.S. Sorry for the VERY late reply

Edited by Horza2002