windows 7 auto updates failing

zombieSquirrel

I need some help with my computer. Every time I shut off my computer, it tries to update windows, but then those updates aren't there when I turn the computer back on. I went ahead and had my computer check for issues after a few days, and found that there was a long list of update failures. Got any ideas on how to fix it:confused: I would try resetting it to an earlier time, but I might lose some stuff I really don't want to lose.

Edited by TriNitroSocks
re-wrote some stuff that didn't sound right

I'm still trying to work with MS 'Vista' but think their probably pretty close. If your talking about Internet Explorer 7, one of those updates is probably to "8" and causing some of your problems. Anyway, since I've had trouble, especially with slow downloading, I've learned MS, checks most every morning or when turned on, to check for needed updates (if nothing new it will tell you). What I do is check about 3 minutes after getting on line and if updates are being made, I just let them go. You'll find Windows Updates clicking programs (far left icon) and to insure click on 'Updates' and then click 'install'. Very few require a shut down, but those that do can take some time. It will ask and it's best to let the system automatically reboot. If you go off line or manually shut down, it will mess up and cause failures.

Your not going to lose anything resetting the time, but I'd set the time before you normally use, so it's the first thing you can handle. Some of those updates are important. As for losing stuff, if this is important to you keep track of your Security System and either set up your own 'back up' system or hire one on line. In my eight years playing with this and using dial up, it's just as easy for me to reprogram and anything important to me has been printed or on a disk. Hope this makes sense to you, I'm really not computer literate...

Is it a computer owned and managed by your employer? I've seen updates fail because of policies imposed by system admins. If not that then it's probably conflicting with a plug-in or other piece of software somewhere.

Is it a computer owned and managed by your employer?

No, and as far as I know, this network isn't the cause. My brother installed the exact same updates without a problem.

If not that then it's probably conflicting with a plug-in or other piece of software somewhere.

So uninstalling recently installed programs might fix it?

I what try the following:

if you recently installed anything remove it. then, run a full antivirus/malware scans. then goto windows/microsoft update and force update everything.

then, reboot/restart you PC. and check and see what happens. if the updates do not install something is preventing them. keep removing, non standard stuff and cleaning the PC untill all updates properly install. also, update flash, and adobe reader etc.

If it is so important as to not just do a clean sweep and make sure everything is right in the first place try this...

- turn off automatic updates

- go through the list of updates one by one and install

- reset when necessary

- when you find one that won't install note it and don't try again

- when you have a list of error prone installs look up the update with its corresponding error

Time consuming but the error codes you are giving are just generic codes that could mean a lot of things ..... they have to be associated to something first.... Often this can require a hot patch specific to something you have setup in your system!