Get a Masters degree and then get a MD? (USA)

Genecks

As of late, I've been noticing an odd trend. I'm not sure how popular it is or how much it's been coming into place, but for the past year or so, I've seen a trend with people attempting to become medical doctors. In general, I keep seeing people go for their Masters degree and then discuss how they want to get a medical degree.

Does this make much sense to you?

I guess in a monetary sense, in the US, it makes sense. Doctors get paid a lot.

Eventually, the pay from being a MD will bring back net gains and so forth...

But why go to the Masters program and then apply to the medical program?

For instance, I came across a student from the University of Chicago who is getting his Masters degree and is now attempting to get into a medical school. I've also met other students from different universities doing the same thing.

I keep meeting people who want to get a Masters and then a MD.

Is this something about being good enough for the medical admissions process? Did people decide that being a researcher was not their cup of tea?

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

The University of Miami and some other schools have a separate tracks for admission to their medical schools for students who have already earned a Ph.D. in one of the natural sciences, even if it is something like physics or electrical engineering rather than physiology. It can be relatively easy to gain admission this way. Considering how minimal the effort can be to go from an M.S./M.A. to a Ph.D. if all you care about is using that as a stepping-stone to an M.D., this may be a useful option to consider.