Integrating trig equations

D'Nalor

Quick question, how do I integrate this?

~sin(2x)cos(3x)sin(4x)dx

I can't figure out how to do it. I've managed to get an answer using

cos(nx)=(z^n+z^-n)/2 and sin(nx)=(z^n-z^-n)/2i, but somehow I get the feeling that isn't how I'm supposed to do it...

I am familiar with inegration by parts, ~F(x)=~G(u)u' [and another one like the previous that I can't remember how to write], double angle rules, and naturally 1=sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2

I still can't figure out how to do it though, given that we're supposed to be able to do it using only those.

I think I remember reading somewhere a rule that I think was sin(a+b)=sin(a)-sin(b), but I don't think it will really help in this one.

Please help me.

note: ~ represents integration.

It's been a while since I've done much math, but it might help if you use our built-in LaTex system.

An example:

[math]\int{f(x)}dx=\lim_{\Delta{x}\rightarrow{0}}\sum{f(x)}\Delta{x}[/math]

If you click on it, you'll get a popup that displays the code. You can also get the code by using the quote function.

There's a rule that [imath]\sin \alpha \sin \beta = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\alpha-\beta)-\cos(\alpha+\beta))[/imath]. That may help.

Also, [imath]\cos \alpha \cos \beta = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\alpha-\beta)+\cos(\alpha+\beta))[/imath], I think.

I hate trig identities.

There's a rule that [imath]\sin \alpha \sin \beta = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\alpha-\beta)-\cos(\alpha+\beta))[/imath]. That may help.

I forgot that one. Sorry, it's been a few years since trig. This is definately the one needed. The use of brackets may also help.

[math]\int\sin(2x)[\sin(4x)\cos(3x)]dx[/math] in conjunction with the above quoted trig identity leads us to:

[math]\int\sin(2x){(\frac{1}{2}(\cos(x)-\cos(7x))}dx[/math]

which leads to

[math]\int(\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)\cos(x)-\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)\cos(7x))dx[/math]

using the same trig identity gives

[math]\int((\frac{1}{4}\cos(0)+\frac{1}{4}\cos(3x))-(\frac{1}{4}\cos(0)+\frac{1}{4}\cos(10x))dx[/math]

which reduces to

[math]\frac{1}{4}(\int\cos(3x)dx-\int\cos(10x)dx)[/math]

Now, that is much easier.

Like I said, it's been a while, but I got:

[hide](1/12)sin(3x)-(1/40)sin(10x)[/hide]

Edited by ydoaPs

I forgot that one. Sorry, it's been a few years since trig. This is definately the one needed. The use of brackets may also help.

[math]\int\sin(2x)[\sin(4x)\cos(3x)]dx[/math] in conjunction with the above quoted trig identity leads us to:

[math]\int\sin(2x){(\frac{1}{2}(\cos(x)-\cos(7x))}dx[/math]

Urm... I'm affraid you lost me there. Is there some other rule in there I don't know about? the quoted rule doesn't use sin and cos at the same time. Did you mean to bracket it like this?

[math]\int[\sin(2x)\sin(4x)]\cos(3x)dx[/math]

That would allow you to make that substitution. Certainly from what you put down, the answer is right. Using the corectly bracketed version, that would make it...

[math]\int[cos(-2x)-cos(6x)]\cos(3x)dx[/math]

[math]\int cos(-2x)cos(3x)dx -\int cos(6x)cos(3x)dx[/math]

...which doesn't make it too much easier...

Are you sure that rule is right? from

[imath]

\sin \alpha \sin \beta = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\alpha-\beta)-\cos(\alpha+\beta))

[/imath]

[imath]

\sin \beta \sin \alpha = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\beta-\alpha)-\cos(\beta+\alpha))

[/imath]

and as

[math]\sin \alpha \sin \beta = \sin \beta \sin \alpha[/math]

but I don't think this is right...

[math]\frac{1}{2} (\cos(\beta-\alpha)-\cos(\beta+\alpha)) = \frac{1}{2} (\cos(\alpha-\beta)-\cos(\alpha+\beta))[/math]

Just so I can show an example of

[math]sin(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}[/math]

[math]sin(\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{1}{2}[/math]

[math]sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) = 1[/math]

[math]cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac{1}{2}[/math]

[math]cos(\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}[/math]

[math]cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) = 0[/math]

[math]sin(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}[/math]

so

[math]\sin (\frac{\pi}{3}) \sin (\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \times \frac{1}{2}

= \frac{\sqrt 3}{4} [/math]

which does not equal

[math] \cos ((\frac{\pi}{3}) - (\frac{\pi}{6})) - \cos((\frac{\pi}{3}) + (\frac{\pi}{6}))[/math]

which equals

[math] \cos(\frac{\pi}{6}) - \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) = \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2} - 0[/math]

ending with

[math] \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}[/math]

So either I've done something wrong in there, or the rule is wrong. They should equal the same thing, so I think the rule is wrong.

Phew, that was a lot of work to type that many equations through the system...

heh heh... oops... I did forget about that one didn't I...

Yes, that does work. sorry...

Heh, I even forgot about the Cap'n's other rule... that's why I still couldn't get it right. I should just sub those other values in to the continued formula. continueing from there...

[math]

\frac{1}{2}(\int cos(-2x)cos(3x)dx -\int cos(6x)cos(3x)dx)

[/math]

[math]\frac{1}{2}(\int (\frac{1}{2}(\cos(-5x)-\cos(x)))dx - \int (\frac{1}{2}(\cos(3x)-\cos(9x)))[/math]

[math]\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-1}{5}\sin(-5x)-\sin(x)-\frac{1}{3}\sin(3x)+\frac{1}{9}\sin(9x))+c[/math]

and I could remove that quater at the front, but that seems unnesscessary at the moment. There we are, I can do the question now. thanks!

I looked back over the rule, and, stupid stupid, I forgot that

[math]\cos(x)=\cos(-x)[/math]

That would be why I thought that it wouldn't work. sorry...:doh:

That's fine. It happens. Have an exam on this subject tomorrow, and thanks to you lot helping me with this, I think I should do quite well. It was the only thing that I wasn't quite sure of.

Thanks!

Just finished my exam. Guess what? that question wasn't in there. what a suprise, and waste of time. I think I did well though. there was one hard question that I couldn't get though, and it would be nice if someone could show me how to do it:

show that [math]\int \frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}} dx = arcsin(\frac{x-a}{x+a})[/math]

hence find [math]\int \frac{dx}{(4x+3)\sqrt{x}}[/math]

I found most of the other questions very easy, but this one was just ridiculous. help please?

Umm... how? only rule I know for this is [math]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a \times a - x \times x}} = \arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+c[/math]

This is the only rule For deriving that I can think of, and the teacher has said that it is possible to do it using this rule. but how?

(Couldn't figure out how to do powers using system)

Why would you insist on integrating when you could just differentiate? The question doesn’t specifically ask you to integrate; it merely says:

Show that [math]\int\mbox{LHS d}x\ =\ \mbox{RHS}.[/math]

So, if you can show that [math]\frac{\mbox d}{\mbox dx}(\mbox{RHS})\ =\ \mbox{LHS},[/math] you have answered the question.

Edited by shyvera

Why would you insist on integrating when you could just differentiate? The question doesn’t specifically ask you to integrate; it merely says:

Show that [math]\int\mbox{LHS d}x\ =\ \mbox{RHS}.[/math]

So, if you can show that [math]\frac{\mbox d}{\mbox dx}(\mbox{RHS})\ =\ \mbox{LHS},[/math] you have answered the question.

I agree that this method should work, but the answer is not that apparent:

[math]\frac{d}{dx}\int\frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}}dx= \frac{d}{dx}arsin\left(\frac{x-a}{x+a}\right)[/math]

[math]\frac{d}{dx}arsin\left(\frac{x-a}{x+a}\right)=\frac{\frac{1}{x+a}-\frac{x-a}{(x+a)^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{(x+a)^{2}}}}[/math]

[math]\frac{\frac{1}{x+a}-\frac{x-a}{(x+a)^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{(x+a)^{2}}}}=\frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}}???[/math]

I did also take the antiderivative:

[math]\int\frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}}dx= 2arctan\left(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{a}}\right)+c[/math]

However this did not seem to help much. I'm guessing their is some identity involved in this that I cannot for the life of me think of.

I spoted that you could just differentiate it, the only trouble was that I was trying to get it into the form of the rule(which obviously you can't[although in retrospect i should have noticed that]). I really should have noticed that I could have just done

[math]

\frac{d}{dx}arsin\left(\frac{x-a}{x+a}\right)=\frac{\frac{1}{x+a}-\frac{x-a}{(x+a)^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{(x+a)^{2}}}}

[/math]

Which would have been much easier than what I was trying to do... now at least i understand how I was supposed to have done it.

There might have been some identity, but It mightn't have been one that is very common or easy.

I am glad you save you could use FTOC Pt. I to go about this a different way, but were you able to show:

[math]

\frac{\frac{1}{x+a}-\frac{x-a}{(x+a)^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{(x+a)^{2}}}}=\frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}}???

[/math]

because to successfully prove that

[math]

\int \frac{\sqrt{a}}{(x+a)\sqrt{x}} dx = arcsin(\frac{x-a}{x+a})

[/math]

You would need to show that those are equal, which at least I wasn't able to do.

[math]\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\left[\arcsin\left(\frac{x-a}{x+a}\right)\right][/math]

[math]=\ \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\left[\arcsin\left(1-\frac{2a}{x+a}\right)\right][/math]

[math]=\ \frac1{\sqrt{1-\left(1-\frac{2a}{x+a}\right)^2}}\cdot\frac{2a}{(x+a)^2}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac{2a}{(x+a)^2\sqrt{\frac{4a}{x+a}-\frac{4a^2}{(x+a)^2}}}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac{2a}{(x+a)^2\cdot\frac{\sqrt{4a(x+a)-4a^2}}{x+a}}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac{2a}{(x+a)\sqrt{4ax}}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac a{(x+a)\sqrt{ax}}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac{\sqrt a\sqrt a}{(x+a)\sqrt a\sqrt x}[/math]

[math]=\ \frac{\sqrt a}{(x+a)\sqrt x}[/math]

Edited by shyvera

Oops, silly me, I got the first part but not the second... I really should have tried just doing that second part as well. It flows quite nicely after that. oh well, at least it was the only one that I couldn't get. thanks for that. nothing else I need to ask at the moment, and it will be unlikely that I'll need to again on this topic for quite a while.

Thanks again for your help!